Options
2»

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Seems to me your estimated calorie burn is quite high. Less than a half-hour running burns 360 calories for your size? I'd say that's quite a bit much. At 5'10", 155 lbs, I would give myself maybe 60 cals/mile, so about 150 tops.

@CarlydogsMom
    If you put your stats in here https://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator you might find you are underestimating your running calorie burns.

Distance is a better metric than time for regular paced running.

Hey thanks for that. Nice to have another calculator to get an idea of how mapmyrun compares (eg the runnersworld calculator gave me 928 calories for my usual 16km run where mmr gave me 1000, which is pretty close really)

Op you're exercise burns are crazy high. I 'burned' 1400 calories going full out on the elliptical for an hour and 40 minutes this morning. And then I halved the calories as I always do with exercise calories as I'm sure they're over the top and I also know my logging isn't perfect so I compensate.

The scales don't lie. Measuring tapes don't lie. The numbers in the cico equation are always an estimate. There's no point obsessing over whether they're right or wrong. If you're not losing weight... eat less. I don't know if you're measuring your intake incorrectly or your expenditure incorrectly or you're tdee is different to what online calculators would suggest or what. The simple fact is: no weight loss = no deficit. So whatever it is you eat, whether it's 2300, 1500, 1200.... eat less.

And just to add: I'm 5'5, and I started at your weight and am now 56kg and still losing and what works? Eating less.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Seems to me your estimated calorie burn is quite high. Less than a half-hour running burns 360 calories for your size? I'd say that's quite a bit much. At 5'10", 155 lbs, I would give myself maybe 60 cals/mile, so about 150 tops.

@CarlydogsMom
    If you put your stats in here https://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator you might find you are underestimating your running calorie burns.

Distance is a better metric than time for regular paced running.

Thanks for that. I really don't run anymore, but when I did do a bit of very slow jogging, I'd run a couple miles in a half-hour. So I entered those stats, and it was indeed higher than I estimate. Gave me 234 calories. If I used that for a particular exercise entry, I'd subtract 30 to account for my BMI (cal per minute) and would enter about 200 calories for that run. But I still think that's relatively high for me personally, after years of tracking. Like @bendyourkneekatie I'd probably downgrade it from there to 150 to take into account food logging errors and such. It's a good resource, though, and thanks, hadn't see it before!
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Here to let ya know that I was in the same boat. You can try a dozen different exercises but if your diet is not on point you're simply going to spin your wheels. I didn't start losing weight until I made sure to track EVERYDAY. My biggest issue before was weekends. I'd eat at a deficit Mon - Friday but then on Sat & Sun I wouldn't track and eat whatever. The only good thing was that I didn't gain... but somehow staying at maintenance was worse because in my head I was putting all this work into losing and I stayed at the same level.

You'll have to be more consistent, but if I can do it then I know you can!! :) Good luck.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If your weight hasn't changed in months then you are not in the deficit you think you are.

You are in maintenance.

This^

Are you using a digital food scale to weigh all solids and a liquid measuring cup for liquids? When you are close to goal, your logging has to be very accurate because you don't have a lot of wiggle room.

You can't use diet or exercise for spot reduction. When you lose weight, you lose it where your body wants to. Unfortunately this is largely genetic. If we could target areas of fat storage there would be no need for liposuction.
  • MileHigh4Wheeler
    MileHigh4Wheeler Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    One lesson I've learned: if you aren't weighing what you eat then you are likely underestimating your daily calories. I've really paid a lot of attention to my intake, I weigh everything and I log everything so I can see where my calories are and I know they are correct. For instance I used to not log my one cup of morning decaf because, why? I mean, it's brown water with a tiny amount of sugar. Nope, it was 7g of sugar each morning and if I ate to my daily sugar goal then I would be at least 7g over. Do that over and over again and you could be consuming 500 calories more a day than you think. I was.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    jaimeolive wrote: »
    There are factors over "calories" that impact whether your body is getting to store fat or burn it. These factors include stress hormones, sex hormones, liver function, gut bacteria, thyroid function, insulin, the nervous system and emotions.

Check out the ATP project podcast https://atpscience.com/podcasts/ it seriously changed my life
    Broscience. Especially on a site that sells a lot of broscience products.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Keep working out, try to shift from traditional workouts to functional workouts. Do more of body weight exercises and it will do wonders on you. For example:- Do pull ups and shift to dips or parallel dips without taking a break. focus on deep breaths as you lift or do any moment. I feel your diet is perfect just consume more of anti oxidants and other essential minerals. Have more of proteins. Practice Yoga and power yoga. Do more of cardio and other fitness activities like zumba, aerobics etc. Good luck
    - Tranceformfitness.com ( India)

So much nope...
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you are accurately weighing all your food and are hitting your deficit amount of calories/macros daily, does it really matter how much you burn during your workouts?
  • jmweiner1
    jmweiner1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your posts have all been very insightful for me, particularly regarding calorie burn. How do I determine my calorie burn for Crossfit without a Fitbit-type tracker? Thank you.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    There are factors over "calories" that impact whether your body is getting to store fat or burn it. These factors include stress hormones, sex hormones, liver function, gut bacteria, thyroid function, insulin, the nervous system and emotions.

Check out the ATP project podcast https://atpscience.com/podcasts/ it seriously changed my life
    Broscience. Especially on a site that sells a lot of broscience products.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

If you really think this, you 100% have not listened to any of the podcasts. Every single product is backed by science.. as per the name of the company. If you honestly think that something like gut health and hormones doesn't affect weight I cannot understand how you studied nutrition

So I had to look. LOL. OMG. That's not a product store, it's a broscientific woo factory of derptastic proportions. Absolutely craptacular.

OP, don't even waste your time clicking on the link to that site. The only place any of those things will help you lose weight is in your wallet. That stuff makes Dr. Oz look like a nutritional genius by comparison.
  • carrieonline
    carrieonline Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Are you eating quite a bit of wheat and/or dairy? What about sugar and salt? Have you tried cutting out wheat or switching up the makeup of your calories - it could be about the quality of your calories, not the quantity.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you eating quite a bit of wheat and/or dairy? What about sugar and salt? Have you tried cutting out wheat or switching up the makeup of your calories - it could be about the quality of your calories, not the quantity.

nope....
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

If you understood what a calorie was you would know that they can't have variable quality standards.