Weightloss has stalled at the most frustrating point

Options
13»

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    ldwatene wrote: »
    Don't weigh yourself so often. Once a week is plenty. You'll do your head in scale watching everyday

Not true, for some people it may do their head in, for others it can be useful, if OP weighed once a week, she may not have seen the lower of the weights.
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ldwatene wrote: »
    Don't weigh yourself so often. Once a week is plenty. You'll do your head in scale watching everyday

Not true, for some people it may do their head in, for others it can be useful, if OP weighed once a week, she may not have seen the lower of the weights.

Also, I don't weigh daily but I probably would if I was that close to a milestone!
  • 40lbslighter
    40lbslighter Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode?
    I'm not going into the mysterious and illusive  (and mythical) starvation mode because it doesn't exist

This threw me for a loop for a second.  As a scientist, I could not understand how a basic cellular/molecular biology principle could be interpreted as a myth?! 

After doing a Google search I saw the misunderstanding.  "Starvation mode" in diet/nutrition speak refers to some weird (and abusive!) human starvation study done 100 years ago that has been used to alternatively support and refute individual views on weight loss. 

I was completely unaware of this definition and certainly never intended to perpetuate any myth!

I had meant to refer to the "starvation reaction" of cells and associated metabolic/endocrine/neural/etc pathways affected by low energy intake which may temporarily stall or mask weightloss.

Mistakenly, I had used the term "mode," which to me meant a system of functions, not goofball's 1917 "study." Oops!

Thank you so much for pointing this out!  I love learning and I have enjoyed reading the abstracts of cited research in some of the articles debunking the "starvation mode" myth this week. 

No need to discuss this topic further in this thread (there's plenty in MFP stickies.)  I only wish to acknowledge my error in terminology and thank @gabriellejayde and @kommodevaran for bringing it to my attention.

P.S.  @gabriellejayde How has this week gone?  Hope you are blissfully in  Onederland!

Best Regards!