Gross vs. Net Calories

Options
My goal is to eat 1,200 calories per day. Yesterday, my gross Calories came out to be 1,340. However, I worked off 470 calories and my net Calories was 870 by the end of the day. At this rate, I know I'll lose the weight but I'm afraid I'll get sick as well. Advice?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You want at least 1200 NET calories. Example Eat 1550 - exercise 350 = 1200 net.

1200 is a default minimum. The vast majority of women can lose weight with a higher net. 1200 is for very petite or elderly, sedentary women. If you want fat loss - net more than 870 calories. At that rate your body will catabolize existing lean muscle mass for fuel. Google fast weight loss and hair loss.
  • linawhitacre
    linawhitacre Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    You want at least 1200 NET calories. Example Eat 1550 - exercise 350 = 1200 net.

1200 is a default minimum. The vast majority of women can lose weight with a higher net. 1200 is for very petite or elderly, sedentary women. If you want fat loss - net more than 870 calories. At that rate your body will catabolize existing lean muscle mass for fuel. Google fast weight loss and hair loss.

Thank you so much!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Eat them exercise calories. If you can eat them in the form of a protein-dominant meal, that's all the better.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Eat them exercise calories. If you can eat them in the form of a protein-dominant meal, that's all the better.
    But don't eat anchovies. Them is gross calories. :#

@Noel_57 You'll notice I specified "If you can eat .." so, no worries about anchovies.