When will it show?

Options
Mom2Kev
Mom2Kev Posts: 5 Member
Today is my 50th day on MFP, and as of this morning, I am down 20.6 pounds!!! That's 20% of my goal! I'm over the moon excited, but I have to ask: when will it start LOOKING like I've lost weight?! Not giving up, but just a little frustrated. When I look at a 20 pound bag of dog food, it's huge. Where on my body is 20 pounds gone??

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Probably from all over.
    In addition to pictures track your measurements.

As you get leaner the same change in weight is far more apparent compared to when you are just starting out.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    It probably already shows but our perception takes a while to catch up.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm sure others have noticed.. take pictures and you can see difference. It's because u see yourself everyday, so you may not notice.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! Lots of great ideas in this thread.

Keep it going. When you can't find anything in your closet that fits - that's a sign! (Psst. When that happens, throw the big clothes out or donate them!)
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Progress pictures. Progress Pictures. Progress Pictures. Seriously, they are the most beneficial to keep you driven and able to see your progress more clearly. You look in a mirror every day and it is hard to see 'change'. When you put a picture from when you start and a picture from even a month later, you will see changes.

Also... depending on how much you weigh... it takes longer for it to be noticed by others sometimes. I think it was around 30 to 35 lb down that people started noticing I was losing weight. Around 45 and 50, the compliments were coming in steadily.

I started at 260 lbs in January of this year and I am currently 166 lbs. Just stay the course, keep pushing forward. You've Got This!! But... take those progress pictures! Even if you don't share them with anyone else... they will help to motivate you and keep you on track.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, go shopping! if you are wearing the same clothes still it might be hard to tell, clothes hide alot :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You look at yourself everyday in the mirror...visual changes are slow and subtle and really, you're not going to notice much without taking pictures because you're used to seeing yourself everyday in the mirror.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I realized that I looked like a shapeless blob in the clothes I was wearing. All of my old clothes still fit, just very loosely. Try spicing your wardrobe up a bit, and see a world of a difference!
  • My4happykids
    My4happykids Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm down 43+ pounds of the 117 pounds I want to lose. No one has noticed except my hubby and Dr. I can't see a difference in my progress pics. (might be a head thing saying hey you are still fat, I don't know)
    It is upsetting that no one sees the difference.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Take pictures...

This.

It took me 25 lbs before I ever noticed a difference.