Ew, new clothes?

Options
While I'm happy with the progress I've made and to have my clothes fit looser, as they represent in a very noticeable way (to me, anyway) how much I've lost, clothing is something I've been dreading as a result of weight loss. Looking at a lot of people's profiles, seeing that one of the top motivators for people is being able to wear smaller sizes, I can't help but wonder if I'm the only one who feels this way. But I'm really -not- looking forward to a new wardrobe once I reach my goal weight.

First, I like my clothes. I may not be happy with the size, but I do like the clothes themselves. It seems like such a waste if I weren't able to wear them anymore.

Second, I really can't afford new clothes. I can barely justify the purchase of a new pair of pants when I actually need them, much less an entire wardrobe. As for my casual clothes, I guess I don't mind wearing oversized T-shirts and wearing belts with my old jeans. But for my work clothes, I'm sunk. I can't be going in wearing oversized shirts and I have no way to keep a pair of pants like those that I work in up with a belt. I'm really dreading the price tag that's gonna come with -that- whole mess. Even if I chose to have them tailored, it'd probably cost about as much as another item of the same clothing, so why bother?

Third, I freaking hate shopping. I especially loathe clothes shopping. And it's not a matter of my size influencing my experience. Even when I used to be skinny, I absolutely hated clothes shopping. If anyone gave me a gift card to a clothing store, I thought it was the most thoughtless thing they could've picked. The thought of having to do this a number of times in order to get a wearable wardrobe exhausts me just to think about. Cannot stand it.

So, yeah. Just wondering if anyone has/had the same concerns or complaints that I do. Or if not, maybe what can you suggest to make this transition less stressful? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I HATE shopping, plus have no money. I've been mostly wearing my too big clothes. I try to buy something new every once in awhile hoping to phase the old stuff out.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    You could get your work clothes tailored. It wouldn't be as expensive as getting new clothes, and you'd be able to wear the clothes you like and have them fit. I go to Goodwill to get clothes at a good price, but I like shopping.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could alter some of them yourself - Do you know anyone with a sewing machine ? Either that or try to find new ways to wear them.
    If I have an item of clothing I really love but that doesn't fit anymore i'll have a look on ebay and try to find it in the smaller size - sometimes I get lucky :smile:
  • tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,851 Member
    Options
    Do you have a way of tailoring them yourself? I sew and I have saved a lot of money. I like to transform or remake things into useful garments. You can watch tutorials on you tube for anything you would want to learn about sewing. You could as some one suggested and buy one outfit every pay period so that you are not swimming in your work wardrobe. You don't want to do like I did; wait til you are working, have a toddler grab your pants for stability and just about lose your pants. So a little here and a little there won't kill your purse all at once and there wouldn't be any unfortunate mishaps.
  • tattoogal77
    tattoogal77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I hate buying clothes myself, especially while trying to lose weight. What I have found to be an inexpensive way to buy clothes when needed is going to the thrift stores. I know that not everyone is into buying gently used clothes but you can get a few outfits for the price of a brand new outfit.
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yeaaaaah... Me trying to sew is like asking a kindergartner to write calligraphy...

Where I live, tailoring isn't worth it unless your pants cost, like, 100 bucks. Really, it's just cheaper to buy new pants. Japan: land of the expensive, home of the people who like nothing but name brands --;; fml...

Also, to my knowledge, no cheapy stores like goodwill here. Though the clothes at the supermarket, I suppose, aren't too badly priced and go on sale a lot, now that I think about it.
  • tattoogal77
    Options
    where do you live in japan? I remember living there after I had my son and gained a large amount of weight. Living off base there was no where to buy clothes and the bmx on base only had a limited amount of clothing for my size.
  • MinatoandClover
    Options
    I live in Aichi, around Nagoya.
  • tattoogal77
    Options
    ok. i lived on okinawa. Beautiful place.
  • MinatoandClover
    Options
    I've never been there, but it sounds really nice. Though, I'll agree, probably not a lot of good places to go clothes shopping, there, lol
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I need new pants for work because the ones I'm currently wearing are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big. I hate clothes shopping with a passion, and I can never find anything that works for me.

I seriously need two pairs of pants, black and maybe grey or some other neutral color. The rest of the time I wear skirts/dresses. I am having the hardest time finding something that I like.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I went thru this a few years ago, and it gets even more complicated because you're used to wearing clothes that hide stuff. Once you get back into shape, you're not going to want to wear those type of clothes anymore even in smaller sizes. So go and try stuff on a the dept stores. Get a feel for what fits, what feels right, what sizes ... etc. Then you'll know what cuts, style & sizes to go for in the bargain stores. It takes some homework, but it will be worth it.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I hear you!! I'd rather put pins in my eyes than go clothes shopping.

I had no choice but to buy new pants, my old ones are just too big for me now, even with a belt. I bought a bunch of new clothes, but being a cheap clothes shopper I looked for really good online clearance sales, as well, I ended up going to second-hand stores and getting quite a few pairs of brand new name brand pants, jeans and capris (with the tags still on) for like $3 each! I know that not everyone is into second-hand stores but when you are in-between sizes and still wanting to lose more it's not worth spending a fortune on clothes that you will just outgrow down the road.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed buying new clothes - partially because I was due anyway, I had t-shirts that were looking ratty, and really nothing suitable for work in our hot summers. Plus, it's nice finding new styles that would have looked awful on me before, looking good now.

But, I'm not thrilled that I'll have to buy new jeans. Jeans shopping sucks. And undergarments, shopping for those also sucks. I knit, and the intricately cabled cardigan I made last year (first sweater, first cables, ever) obviously won't work now, though it is an excuse to knit more, so maybe not so depressing after all. Plus, I had just bought a bunch of clothes at a designer outlet at Christmas that I never got to wear. Some of those I've had altered, some I gave away. I was happy that the gorgeous sheath dress I bought went to a friend of a friend who's hit a rough spot financially and needed a dress for a wedding. She had no money for one after paying for her three daughters' flower girl dresses. Evidently mine fit her perfectly AND she's a fan of the designer, so win, win.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Have to ring in here for a couple of reasons. I too hate clothes shopping, always have. The expense is kind of a problem too. I've decided to buy a couple of neutral pants and skirts and go with oversized tops ... I bought a couple of these sort of like small sideways suspender things and I can clip them to the back of my tops and Blouse them with these in the back instantaneous tailoring :)

Now with that said, I loved living in Japan it has been a lot of years since I lived there, but I lived in the Tokyo area for 3 years (Narimasu and Sagamihara). In later years I lived down south in Iwakuni and also was married in Fukuoka. It has been over 35 years since I was there, and would love to go back for a visit. My years in Japan were some of my happiest.
  • rhymeswithtexas
    Options
    Have you tried selling clothes on eBay? I've done that with clothes that don't fit, and it works out most of the time.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I've never been there, but it sounds really nice. Though, I'll agree, probably not a lot of good places to go clothes shopping, there, lol

Do you have a US credit card with a US address? If you do, use Expat Express and order your clothes online. There's no duty on things less than ichiman yen. And even when you order more than ichiman, it's usually around 900 yen or 1600 yen for the order in duties. Shipping, however, is a lot of the cost.

Shopping has gotten much better in Tokyo in the past 5 years. If you go into Tokyo, there's H&M and Gap, etc. where clothes aren't super expensive. A train into Daiba to the new Diver City mall there might be fun. They have a bunch of fun stores, and even an Old Navy now (and H&M and Forever 21 and American Eagle). There's a Gap at the Aqua City mall on Daiba as well.