Anybody else going to....

Options

Replies

• Renaissance_Turtle
    Renaissance_Turtle Posts: 960 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Problem solved. I don't need to run around all crazy like looking for some cheap sun glasses...

jrwb6sdqusc7.jpg

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    I wonder what the difference is with the special ones they sell and regular sunglasses?

Regular sunglasses don't block near enough of the uv rays that will be coming through. The eclipse glasses will block 99% of them. They are literally pitch black and you can't see anything but the sun through them. Unlike regular sunglasses.

As an eyecare professional, it's not a hoax. You can go partially to fully blind if you look at the eclipse without proper protection. Even for a quick second, the rays will burn your retina without the proper eye wear.

I wish I'd known this last week. I had a theory that with enough of those roll up sunglasses you get from the eye doctor you could survive looking at the sun but I didn't have a supplier to help me test it out.

I can still send you some to test it out but I am pretty sure it is not going to work. You can't believe all the phone calls we have gotten this past week asking if they can just duct tape several pair of sunglasses together. Ummm no.

We don't have time, after today I have no reason to look at the sun again for the rest of my lifetime. The amount of emphasis they're putting on telling people to not look directly at the sun is somewhat humorous though. I have no doubt there will be plenty of busy eye docs after today though.

There will be another solar eclipse in 2024. It's really not that far away, we can be prepared and yes, I am assuming people will still look at it and will be hitting up their doctors the rest of the week. Us included. Unfortunately there will be nothing we can do for them.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I like the idea that we are all riding on a tiny little ball of rock and water, hurtling through infinite space, and we get to watch all the other balls of gas and dust and rock moving around out there. So today the moon goes between us and the sun and makes a shadow on us...woo-hoo!

The fact is that the sun can permanently damage your retinas, so BE FARKING CAREFUL!! I heard a news report that said that statistically it is predominantly young males between 16 and 30 who experience eye damage from eclipses, so USE PROTECTION! (No! NOT condoms!!) You know who you are...LOL!

Also...I read this on a post here on MFP and I liked it a lot, so I think it's worth repeating here: When you go outside and look "up" at the sky, you are really looking "down" into the bottomless abyss of the infinite universe, and gravity is the only thing holding your feet on the ground and keeping you from falling into it...I love it!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia, so, no...
  • Trishous
    Trishous Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The funniest thing I have seen about this eclipse is the fact that people are warning you to keep your pets indoors. If it was such an issue wouldn't all the wild animals be blind? The only ones interested in the sun and what is going on are the humans. Animals are just going to start their night habits. I think there is much to do about nothing.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I wonder what the difference is with the special ones they sell and regular sunglasses?

Regular sunglasses don't block near enough of the uv rays that will be coming through. The eclipse glasses will block 99% of them. They are literally pitch black and you can't see anything but the sun through them. Unlike regular sunglasses.

As an eyecare professional, it's not a hoax. You can go partially to fully blind if you look at the eclipse without proper protection. Even for a quick second, the rays will burn your retina without the proper eye wear.

I wish I'd known this last week. I had a theory that with enough of those roll up sunglasses you get from the eye doctor you could survive looking at the sun but I didn't have a supplier to help me test it out.

I can still send you some to test it out but I am pretty sure it is not going to work. You can't believe all the phone calls we have gotten this past week asking if they can just duct tape several pair of sunglasses together. Ummm no.

We don't have time, after today I have no reason to look at the sun again for the rest of my lifetime. The amount of emphasis they're putting on telling people to not look directly at the sun is somewhat humorous though. I have no doubt there will be plenty of busy eye docs after today though.

There will be another solar eclipse in 2024. It's really not that far away, we can be prepared and yes, I am assuming people will still look at it and will be hitting up their doctors the rest of the week. Us included. Unfortunately there will be nothing we can do for them.

But it wont be Totatlity for me like this one. 2024 won't have the same smell of burning retinas in the air like this one will.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I'm going to watch it on live stream, I still need special glasses right?
  • Caporegiem
    Options
    I'm going to watch it on live stream, I still need special glasses right?

Yes, you're pretty much going to have a frickin laser beam coming through your computer screen.
  • Caporegiem
    Options

But it wont be Totatlity for me like this one. 2024 won't have the same smell of burning retinas in the air like this one will.

I thought the 2024 one might be in totality over Mexico and maybe Texas. Just not across the US like this one is

Yeah well I'm pretty lazy, I just happen to be right in the line of sight for totality on this one. The next one looks like I'd have to travel a pretty good ways.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I think I should stay inside during the eclipse...I don't trust myself to not look.
  • Chase_The_Pain
    Chase_The_Pain Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I think I should stay inside during the eclipse...I don't trust myself to not look.

Yeah, my luck I will trip and fall and land face up starring at the sun. I'll take my chances though
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options

They're basically welding masks...they block out 99% of the suns rays...you'd need like a million pair of regular sunglasses to do that...
  • Chase_The_Pain
    Chase_The_Pain Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

They're basically welding masks...they block out 99% of the suns rays...you'd need like a million pair of regular sunglasses to do that...

I've for real been wanting to learn how to weld. After this eclipse, I have my protection ready :sunglasses:
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

You could just darken any piece of glass over the candle flame, no need to waste money on eclipse glasses
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I'd rather stare off into the sun and end it all.

t64da0224fj0.jpg
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    BTW if you're "scrambling to get glasses" that's your own damn fault, we've known this eclipse was coming for years.

38 years
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Problem solved. I don't need to run around all crazy like looking for some cheap sun glasses...

jrwb6sdqusc7.jpg

It is recommended that you wear at minimum shade 12 for that. Anything lower and you can still damage your eyes. 13 is best. 14 is too dark to see very well.