Dealing with Reactive Hypoglycemia

cmccardleart
cmccardleart Posts: 7 Member
With reactive hypoglycemia, I feel hungry, shaky and out of sorts much of the time, even right after a big meal. My challenge is trying to balance the right number of carbs with the right amount of protein as suggested by my Dr. to get my blood sugar stabilize.
To get the right numbers, I feel like I am having to overeat. Anyone else working with this dilemma? Suggestions for good sources of protein that are lower in fat. Nutritious complex carb ideas are welcome too.

Replies

• kcerrillo
    kcerrillo Posts: 103 Member
    I do peanut butter or honey when I'm low or beef jerkey
  • Celiac96
    Celiac96 Posts: 8 Member
    You shouldn't just be adding protein to even out the carbs. Replace some carbs with protein. Not only will it help to balance your blood sugar, but it will also fill you up for longer. When I started getting Reactive Hypoglycemia, my Dr. told me to eat every two hours and at least part of it had to be protein. I don't do that anymore, but I pay a lot more attention to my macros and make sure that I'm getting enough protein.

What I'm trying to say is instead of having a bagel for breakfast and adding peanut butter or something, replace that with eggs and a piece of toast. That way you're still getting some carbs, but you're not overloading, and you're getting the protein you need.
  • cmccardleart
    Thank you. Your response gives me hope that I can get better. It has taken a long time to even get a diagnosis and I was so stressed that I kept having panic attacks, which kept me from sleeping and I stayed fatigued for over 2 months. I am doing better, but not out of the woods yet. I appreciate your input.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    My husband has this. His goes hand in hand with panic attacks too - sometimes the hypoglycemia causes the panic and vice versa!

If you haven't already, try giving up soda and other sources of quick acting carbs. In my husband's case it is worse in the morning. A high protein low carb breakfast helps. Try eating more slow acting carbs such as beans and dairy.

I'm a diabetic, and steel cut oats made with milk, with peanut butter really keeps my glucose steady in the mornings. I don't know how it would work for you since my husband hates it, but you could try it.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Oh, and fat helps slow carb absorption, so low fat may not be best for you.
  • cmccardleart
    I have pretty much cleaned up my act as far as anything with sugar at all. I haven't eaten a sweet of any kind for 2 months. I'm also trying to make sure I get some fats. I like the pnut butter oatmeal idea. That sounds good to me.
    Thanks!