Extremely low calorie diet back to normal?

Hello there, I started to religiously use MFP in February, but being dumb starting June and to this day I restrict my calories to about 600-1000 a day. I know this is very unhealthy and stupid for me to do so and I finally got the wake-up call that it’s wrong to do so. I was just wondering what is the best course of action to up my calories, with minimal weightgain, to my maintenance. I started at 236 lbs & am now at 165 lbs. Any input will be greatly appreciated, thank you! :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You won't gain weight if you eat at or below maintenance, which will be somewhere between 2400 and 3000, depending on your age, height and activity level.

How fast you should up your calories - I think as fast as you possibly can without feeling ill.
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    aezvox wrote: »
    Hello there, I started to religiously use MFP in February, but being dumb starting June and to this day I restrict my calories to about 600-1000 a day. I know this is very unhealthy and stupid for me to do so and I finally got the wake-up call that it’s wrong to do so. I was just wondering what is the best course of action to up my calories, with minimal weightgain, to my maintenance. I started at 236 lbs & am now at 165 lbs. Any input will be greatly appreciated, thank you! :)
    What was the wake up call if I may ask? You might want to calculate through MFP what you should be at Calorie wise. If nothing else, get back to 1200 at least and slowly add say 100 calories per week until you are at maintenance.
  • aezvox
    aezvox Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2017
    TorStar80 wrote: »
    aezvox wrote: »
    What was the wake up call if I may ask? You might want to calculate through MFP what you should be at Calorie wise. If nothing else, get back to 1200 at least and slowly add say 100 calories per week until you are at maintenance.

No problem, the wake-up call I received was because my friend and I have been doing the same thing at the same time. However, he had recently went to the doctor and had multiple problems with him due to malnutrition and it was some scary stuff. Also I recently have been experiencing minor dizziness when standing up and just feeling fatigued throughout the day, so I think it's time to change. Thank you for your input!
  • BigMo2017
    BigMo2017 Posts: 30 Member
    I moved into maintenance a month ago and didn't want to fall back into bad habits. So I decided to keep eating the same foods as I was when losing weight but just eat more of it at each meal. That way I'm still eating healthily but also able to increase my calories gradually. I went from losing 10lbs per month to only losing 2 pounds last month.
  • Same situation here - literally, did the exact same thing, and changed based on a dizziness and pervasive hunger. I went from my 1100 ultra-cut straight to 2000, which is my maintenance. Now at 1600 cut, but without the hunger and vertigo.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    I agree with those that day take it slow. Appetite is not all biological, its also mental. If you take it 100 calories at a time, you'll more easily get used to eating more. A big jump and it will feel like you're stuffing yourself.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Sounds like you might want to consider a reverse diet. If you provide more stats then we can assist with specifics. But, not necessary.

There is something called the Basal Metabolic Rate. That is the amount of food that you need to consume on a daily basis to simply survive. There is a formula for that....in fact, there is one for men and there is one for women. The one for men is below:

BMR = 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) – (6.8 x age in years)

What it sounds like has happened is that you have reduced your caloric intake to a very low level. You metabolism has adjusted down to that level and is essentially in starvation mode. Possibly.

As Briannaean... suggested, food is simply fuel for our bodies. There are calories and there are macros (protein, carbs, fats - I kinda sorta include Dietary Fiber in there.....technically not accurate but a lot of people forget about this) and there are micros (vitamins, minerals, et al).

A reverse diet is something that could be useful for you. Essentially, you have to know where your current caloric intake is.....you need to know your maintenance caloric intake and you need to know what your goals are.

Assuming that a reverse diet is indeed in order, you would simply increase your caloric intake by a small amount each week. So, if you were to add somewhere between 75 and 150 Calories a week (roughly....not sure what your current caloric intake is....or what your maintenance intake is....so, hard to determine how much to increase each week) you might be well served.

The key is to adjust your caloric intake slowly each week. Weigh yourself every day, at the same time (usually after you wake up and go to the bathroom) on the same scale and then take that weekly average.....that is usually the suggested method.

Eventually, you will have much more energy, your body will adjust to the increased caloric intake and you will be back on the road to a healthy life. Key is to having a starting point and then adjusting according to you.

Make sense?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited September 2017
    How many calories are you now eating @aezvox ?
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    You won't gain weight if you eat at or below maintenance, which will be somewhere between 2400 and 3000, depending on your age, height and activity level.

How fast you should up your calories - I think as fast as you possibly can without feeling ill.

MFP tells me to eat 2450 to maintain my weight. I eat 1800 or 1900 max a day and weight train/cardio 5 days a week. I gained 1.5 pounds. Soo what's that all about