Ketogenic diet

Options

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    If it is repeated often enough, it becomes true.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ...I'm not really sure why CICO gets blamed for people's yo yo dieting experience, and keto gets all the credit for the success - but whatever...

Because of tinfoil hat pseudoscientist crackpots like Taubes, Fung and Lustig, that's why. They willfully subvert/ignore science (and prey upon those not analytical enough to see through their woo) in the name of the almighty dollar.

Don't they pretty much trash talk it on their platforms and basically misrepresent what it is? I'm convinced they're single-handedly responsible for the idea that CICO=eating Twinkies and donuts all day.

Yes. They (and their True Believers) often engage in the classic binary argument pattern in an attempt to strengthen their points. Either you're eating keto, or you're sitting on the couch shoveling mountains of sugar down your pie hole all day, every day. No possible way that there could be a reasonable, moderate middle ground which takes balanced nutrition into consideration.

A month or so ago, Fung (or one of his lackeys) sic'ed his sycophants on either Eric Helms or Brad Schoenfeld (can't remember which) when they posted a link to a study on Facebook which wasn't favorable of Fung and his woo. The venom and vulgar personal attacks they spewed were absolutely vicious and way over the top. Unbelievably filthy and repulsive. You'd think that each of them had been personally attacked and were retaliating for it, rather than a link to a scientific study being posted. I've seen religious wars that were less fervent. It was absolutely disgusting.

I've seen Fung throw middle aged temper tantrums via responses on fb and twitter, even in the midst of his fat shaming tweet. It separated keto into separate camps: "true keto/LCHF ketone chasers" that follow Jimmy Moore, Jason Fung, Gary Taubes, etc. and the adorably coined "CICOpath meatheads" that follow evidence based research in dietary strategies for body composition and adherence. I've been banned by the former for touting thermodynamics, the importance of protein, and denouncing the magic of ketones for fat loss and improvement of health markers.

Funny enough, the ketone chasers' favorite phrase was "show me the evidence" where anecdote seemingly trumped RCTs and meta-analyses. Go figure.

Stuff like this just reinforces that taking the advice of a doctor is generally pathetic, unless its a doctor like Dr. Spencer Nadolsky.

I actually feel bad that these diets have so many zealots being the focal leaders representing the diet. Because when there is actual science, it tends to get overlooked. Now someone like Dr. Dom D'Agostino is legit when it comes to ketogenic.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    ...I'm not really sure why CICO gets blamed for people's yo yo dieting experience, and keto gets all the credit for the success - but whatever...

Because of tinfoil hat pseudoscientist crackpots like Taubes, Fung and Lustig, that's why. They willfully subvert/ignore science (and prey upon those not analytical enough to see through their woo) in the name of the almighty dollar.

Don't they pretty much trash talk it on their platforms and basically misrepresent what it is? I'm convinced they're single-handedly responsible for the idea that CICO=eating Twinkies and donuts all day.

Yes. They (and their True Believers) often engage in the classic binary argument pattern in an attempt to strengthen their points. Either you're eating keto, or you're sitting on the couch shoveling mountains of sugar down your pie hole all day, every day. No possible way that there could be a reasonable, moderate middle ground which takes balanced nutrition into consideration.

A month or so ago, Fung (or one of his lackeys) sic'ed his sycophants on either Eric Helms or Brad Schoenfeld (can't remember which) when they posted a link to a study on Facebook which wasn't favorable of Fung and his woo. The venom and vulgar personal attacks they spewed were absolutely vicious and way over the top. Unbelievably filthy and repulsive. You'd think that each of them had been personally attacked and were retaliating for it, rather than a link to a scientific study being posted. I've seen religious wars that were less fervent. It was absolutely disgusting.

I've seen Fung throw middle aged temper tantrums via responses on fb and twitter, even in the midst of his fat shaming tweet. It separated keto into separate camps: "true keto/LCHF ketone chasers" that follow Jimmy Moore, Jason Fung, Gary Taubes, etc. and the adorably coined "CICOpath meatheads" that follow evidence based research in dietary strategies for body composition and adherence. I've been banned by the former for touting thermodynamics, the importance of protein, and denouncing the magic of ketones for fat loss and improvement of health markers.

Funny enough, the ketone chasers' favorite phrase was "show me the evidence" where anecdote seemingly trumped RCTs and meta-analyses. Go figure.

Stuff like this just reinforces that taking the advice of a doctor is generally pathetic, unless its a doctor like Dr. Spencer Nadolsky.

I actually feel bad that these diets have so many zealots being the focal leaders representing the diet. Because when there is actual science, it tends to get overlooked. Now someone like Dr. Dom D'Agostino is legit when it comes to ketogenic.

Not so sure. He now has his own site (ketonutrition.org) pimping woo "supplements" such as exogenous ketones, and selling his book about how keto cures cancer. Dom may have jumped the shark, like Fung and others who prostitute their reputations for money.
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2018
    Options

Not so sure. He now has his own site (ketonutrition.org) pimping woo "supplements" such as exogenous ketones, and selling his book about how keto cures cancer. Dom may have jumped the shark, like Fung and others who prostitute their reputations for money.

Exogenous ketones have been shown to increase ketone levels. It can help you get into ketosis faster.

And the cures for cancer are in conjunction with cancer therapy treatments. It only relates to specific cancers, specifically ones that tend to be fueled by glucose and mainly things related to brain tumors.

ETA: if you want, check out his podcast with Layne Norton. They have been friends for a decade. All his work started with the Department of thr Navy in support of Seals.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Exogenous ketones have been shown to increase ketone levels. It can help you get into ketosis faster.

And the cures for cancer are in conjunction with cancer therapy treatments. It only relates to specific cancers, specifically ones that tend to be fueled by glucose and mainly things related to brain tumors.

ETA: if you want, check out his podcast with Layne Norton. They have been friends for a decade. All his work started with the Department of thr Navy in support of Seals.

I'm not even so sure about that one - and neither are some ketophiles, apparently: https://ketogains.com/2015/09/to-ketone-or-not-to-ketone/

(Note the comments by D'Agostino at the bottom of the page - apparently he wasn't so convinced of their efficacy at some point either).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I'm not even so sure about that one - and neither are some ketophiles, apparently: https://ketogains.com/2015/09/to-ketone-or-not-to-ketone/

(Note the comments by D'Agostino at the bottom of the page - apparently he wasn't so convinced of their efficacy at some point either).

The exogenous ketones he developed was for navy seals who found ketones to be helpful in avoiding seizures when using oxygen re-breathers when they they were not using a ketogenic diet in the weeks before hand.

The uses for exogenous ketones also include epilepsy and dementia. For weight loss? No use at all.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Dom’s work in cancer therapy was based on the Warburg effect, proposing glycolysis fueled cancer cells, pushing for the use of exo ketones (EK) as a method of treatment, but Chad Macias has been deep in oncological research that suggested certain other cancer cells and fibroblasts can also be fueled by ketones or fatty acids, so keto can’t be suggested as a frontline therapy, to support the line for specificity in adjunct therapy for certain forms of cancer.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Chad_Macias/publication/317415645_Assessing_the_Role_of_the_Ketogenic_Diet_as_a_Metabolic_Therapy_in_Cancer_Is_it_Evidence_Based/links/59d78e350f7e9b42a6b0a8fd/Assessing-the-Role-of-the-Ketogenic-Diet-as-a-Metabolic-Therapy-in-Cancer-Is-it-Evidence-Based.pdf
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ^Fascinating discussion.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ^Fascinating discussion.

But did you hear about the keto marathoner?

I did not. Hopefully, someone will post it :p
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

You didn't really trot that out again did you?? Lol!