Ketogenic diet

Options

Replies

• dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    skryking wrote: »
    As a type 2 diabetic, low or no carb is almost a must for me. Really sucks as I really really like ice cream.

There are some keto ice creams! So Delicious makes sugar free, dairy free ice cream and ice cream bars. I've also gone to liquid nitrogen ice cream shops and asked them if they can make custom keto ice cream and they said yes if I brought the ingredients on a slow day.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Been on it for long term health reasons. I have been on it without breaking it for 1.5 years. As far as fitness, it doesn't automatically help with weight loss unless you're obese, but it may help satiate you. I see people complaining about being hungry in a deficit. I don't get hungry on a deficit except appropriately before my 2 meals. Carbs were very addicting to me, and it would be hard to not overeat them. On keto, I feel satisfied. Plus there are keto versions of carbs foods that are just as good (once you are on keto long enough to forget what those carby things tasted like) but less addicting.
    As a type 2 diabetic, low or no carb is almost a must for me. Really sucks as I really really like ice cream.

There are some keto ice creams! So Delicious makes sugar free, dairy free ice cream and ice cream bars. I've also gone to liquid nitrogen ice cream shops and asked them if they can make custom keto ice cream and they said yes if I brought the ingredients on a slow day.

Here's where I have problems with diets that restrict an entire macronutrient, regardless of the diet... People begin to bastardize food to fit their new diet. Eg: black bean "brownies" for vegans, almond flour or cream cheese "bread" for ketoers, etc. all in the laughable chase for "optimal health" by eliminating processed food proposed by the evil USDA or whatever government agency is pushing devil food onto the public.

I wonder if anyone realizes they're processing food just as heavily as manufacturers and often with more calories.

"Keto" ice cream, bread, pasta, donuts, pizza... Look, anything is "keto friendly" if you have a small enough serving of it, or really just be an adult and make adjustments to focus on nutrient dense food with small allowances for actual treats once in a while. If you want to follow a low carb diet for nutrient density and splurge on a scoop of genuine ice cream, then that makes a lot more sense than trying to stay in ketosis by replacing 30g of carbs with 70g of fat.

#butmuhinsulinz arguments have been debunked... and by the more appropriately self-educated low carb community no less; who once used to believe the insulin theory of obesity but have shifted their views along with growing evidence.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/2018/05/03/ted-naimans-dam-fat-storage-insulinographic-explained/

Veganism isn't about macronutrient restriction. You can do it with almost any macro split.

"Black bean" brownies are a recipe for anyone who wants to get more fiber into their brownies or use less flour. There are vegan and non-vegan versions out there and they're completely optional for any vegan who wants to eat brownies (I make mine the regular way, no beans included).

I appreciate the correction. I'm not vegan, but have vegan friends who are obese because they believe in restricting protein to an unhealthy degree, and gorge on hyperpalatable "vegan friendly" foods. I merely used black bean brownies as an example, albeit bad, to make a point that being an adult in a relationship with food doesn't need to resort to modifying already known food just to make it fit the narrative of whatever diet someone follows.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Been on it for long term health reasons. I have been on it without breaking it for 1.5 years. As far as fitness, it doesn't automatically help with weight loss unless you're obese, but it may help satiate you. I see people complaining about being hungry in a deficit. I don't get hungry on a deficit except appropriately before my 2 meals. Carbs were very addicting to me, and it would be hard to not overeat them. On keto, I feel satisfied. Plus there are keto versions of carbs foods that are just as good (once you are on keto long enough to forget what those carby things tasted like) but less addicting.

Here's where I have problems with diets that restrict an entire macronutrient, regardless of the diet... People begin to bastardize food to fit their new diet. Eg: black bean "brownies" for vegans, almond flour or cream cheese "bread" for ketoers, etc. all in the laughable chase for "optimal health" by eliminating processed food proposed by the evil USDA or whatever government agency is pushing devil food onto the public.

I wonder if anyone realizes they're processing food just as heavily as manufacturers and often with more calories.

"Keto" ice cream, bread, pasta, donuts, pizza... Look, anything is "keto friendly" if you have a small enough serving of it, or really just be an adult and make adjustments to focus on nutrient dense food with small allowances for actual treats once in a while. If you want to follow a low carb diet for nutrient density and splurge on a scoop of genuine ice cream, then that makes a lot more sense than trying to stay in ketosis by replacing 30g of carbs with 70g of fat.

#butmuhinsulinz arguments have been debunked... and by the more appropriately self-educated low carb community no less; who once used to believe the insulin theory of obesity but have shifted their views along with growing evidence.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/2018/05/03/ted-naimans-dam-fat-storage-insulinographic-explained/

Veganism isn't about macronutrient restriction. You can do it with almost any macro split.

"Black bean" brownies are a recipe for anyone who wants to get more fiber into their brownies or use less flour. There are vegan and non-vegan versions out there and they're completely optional for any vegan who wants to eat brownies (I make mine the regular way, no beans included).

I appreciate the correction. I'm not vegan, but have vegan friends who are obese because they believe in restricting protein to an unhealthy degree, and gorge on hyperpalatable "vegan friendly" foods. I merely used black bean brownies as an example, albeit bad, to make a point that being an adult in a relationship with food doesn't need to resort to modifying already known food just to make it fit the narrative of whatever diet someone follows.

Sorry for being pedantic then!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but "keto coffee" is just ridiculous (going back to your bastardization to meet macros)
    Wouldn't real food be more satisfying rather than drinking a bunch of empty kcals?
    These same people will tell you not to drink sugary drinks, soda, juice, etc. though because carbs are "evil"

The "keto coffee" thing just seems like a step backwards
    Seems odd to have to rely on an oil to make a diet work

Yeah... I is an odd concept for weight loss. I think the main benefit to keto coffee is probably for those who enjoy the health benefits of increased ketones, or possibly if it reduces your appetite while trying to lose. I guess...

I've never actually tried a "keto coffee". That's a lot of calories. I do add some whipping or coconut cream to my coffee in the morning, but I also add a bit of protein powder. It's a mini meal and then I don't eat again until 1 or 2 pm. But I'm one who like drinking my calories. I'd rather have a spinach smoothie than a salad on most days. Just a personal preference.