Low Carb Breakfast ideas?

I am NOT a morning person. I get out of bed at 5:30am, stumble down stairs in the dark. Have a black coffee and more often than not, I reach for a box of cereal. I'm not one for sugary cereal so there's that. But find I am eating way too many carbs first thing in the morning.

The obvious choice is eggs, which I'm okay with.

Are there other quick, easy options for low to no carb breakfasts that don't require much thinking?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    how about hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs, or egg salad - that way you can already have them ready in the morning so all you have to do is grab them...
  • pantrap
    pantrap Posts: 2 Member
    Don't eat that early. Just wait till youre hungry later in the day. Make sandwiches the night before to take with you
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Scramble eggs with cottage cheese. Make omelette "muffins" so you can heat and go. Make a quiche to reheat slices.
  • akatdrake
    akatdrake Posts: 18 Member
    I've always wondered about options as well. I seem to alternate between hard-boiled eggs and scrambled eggs with two pieces of bacon. Cannot go wrong there; but not much variety.
  • tjucan
    tjucan Posts: 12 Member
    edited August 2017
    Smoothies! Just throw everything into a blender and that's it. Personally I'm not a fan of eating anything solid early in the morning so I usually have a smoothie:

1) Sweet one:
    - 1 cup of coconut milk;
    - 1/2 scoop of protein powder;
    - 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder;
    - 1 tablespoon of shredded coconut;
    - 1/8 teaspoon of xanthan gum
    - 5 drops of liquid stevia
    - ice cubes;
    That's about 141 calories, 14g of protein, 9g of fat, 5g of carbs and 4g of fiber.

2) Green one:
    - 1 tablespoon of MCT oil;
    - 2 cups of frozen spinach;
    - 1 scoop of protein powder;
    - 1 tablespoon of psyllium husk powder (or hemp seeds or ground flaxseeds);
    - 1/3 teaspoon of salt;
    This one's 315 calories, 31g of protein, 15g of fat, 15g of carbs and 11g of fiber.

3) Green one #2:
    - 3 cups of water;
    - 1 scoop of protein powder;
    - 2 cups of frozen spinach;
    - 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds;
    - 2 tablespoons of chia seeds;
    - ice cubes;
    485 calories, 40g protein, 27g fat, 23g carbs and 20g fiber.

And I also have a fourth one that's a pre-workout mix (water+protein powder+MCT oil+cocoa powder+matcha green tea powder+workout supplements).

EDIT:
    I also sometimes have a low carb overnight "oatmeal". I use hemp seeds as a base (like 3 tablespoons of it) and then just add:
    a) coconut milk or almond milk or heavy whipping cream;
    b) chia seeds
    and c) anything that comes to mind and I think is going to taste good: chopped almonds/walnuts, dark chocolate, cocoa powder, sugar free maple syrup, peanut butter, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, shredded coconut, vanilla extract, tumeric powder, protein powder, liquid stevia... Depends what I'm in mood for.
    That's like a 350 calories, 30g of fat, 12g of protein, 7g of carbs and 3-4g of fiber.
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    I like to alternate between a protein powder shake, hardboiled eggs, and greek yogurt. The key with the powder and greek yogurt is to pick one that is low sugar/carbs. For an extra punch, you can mix 1/3 of a scoop of powder into plain greek yogurt. I recommend mixing it the night before so it has time to set.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 142 Member
    I make mini egg quiches to keep in the freezer over the weekend, then pop them in the micro wave when I don't have time to make breakfast. Sometimes I just have bell peppers and tomato slices with left over meat from the dinner the night before. Or high fiber bread and peanut butter.
  • MoyMG
    MoyMG Posts: 312 Member
    I get chicken apple sausage, frozen, and zap them in the microwave. I eat those with a piece of fruit. Breakfast is always coffee, protein, and fruit.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Crustless quiche. Eggs, milk, cheese, bacon/ham/sausage, lots of veggies. Keeps well in the fridge and you can just nuke a slice in the morning.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Egg dishes refrigerate fine, but do NOT freeze well. On sunday night I make omlettes, a breakfast casserole, or egg scramles that I portion out into 5 tuppperwares and have my breakfast ready to grab every morning. As i said, eggs don't freeze well so I only make it for one week at a time.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You can have something around Greek Yogurt and you can prepare the night before. You could add a few carbs like chia or oatmeal (chia pudding/overnight oats).