How low is too low?

Options
2»

Replies

• ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I feel much better when I eat more and up my workouts. I still run a deficit, so it still works for weight loss.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    "people" suggest eating back only half your exercise calories because the calorie counts for exercise are notoriously inaccurate for many people. MFP suggests eating them all back, because you are aiming to create a certain deficit.

The reasons not to just create an enormous deficit by calling yourself "Sedentary" and then exercising like crazy are: 1) some people find that a very large deficit is psychologically difficult to maintain, and they struggle with binging, and 2) to get the most strength/endurance improvements out of workouts, you need to fuel them properly. Also 3) For women, very large deficits send a message to your entire hormonal system that things are very messed up and hormonal changes need to be made. Some of these changes are not good for things like your bone density and other womens-health-related-things.

• joe4975
    joe4975 Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You don't have to do everything an app on your phone tells you. Eat what you want, for the results you want. Lots of silliness here. You are an adult, make your own decisions. You won't die just from eating less than 1200 estimated calories per day, even if you do it for a long time. MFP has those warnings for political reasons. It has no idea what your real situation is - and that is something only you can know.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    joe4975 wrote: »
    You don't have to do everything an app on your phone tells you. Eat what you want, for the results you want. Lots of silliness here. You are an adult, make your oen decisions. You won't die from eating less than 1200 estimated calories per day, even if you do it for a long time. MFP has those warnings for political reasons.

Uhhhh.... what "political reasons" would those be???
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    joe4975 wrote: »
    You don't have to do everything an app on your phone tells you. Eat what you want, for the results you want. Lots of silliness here. You are an adult, make your own decisions. You won't die just from eating less than 1200 estimated calories per day, even if you do it for a long time. MFP has those warnings for political reasons. It has no idea what your real situation is - and that is something only you can know.

Yes, the politicians do get upset when you run a website encouraging eating disorders. Stupid politics.