What is your gym routine?

Options
ktkar85
ktkar85 Posts: 3 Member
I recently joined a gym for the first time in my life. I've faithfully gone every morning so far, and hope to keep it up! The first few days I struggled to even stay at the gym for an hour. I'm so out of shape even a light walk on the treadmill was killing me. In the last week I've noticed that everything has gotten a little easier and I've been able to stay on each machine for longer and up the intensity a little. I know that in time, I'll be able to knock out more calories at the gym.
My current routine is 20 minutes on the treadmill (Starting a little slower to get warmed up, then I bump it up as much as I can without killing myself!) then I head to the elliptical....as of right now I can only last 10 minutes. Then I do 20 minutes on the stationary bike. I have been moving on to the weight machines after that at do legs one day, arms the other for about 15 - 20 minutes. I'm curious what everyone else does at the gym, is there a routine you follow? Any tips or advice?

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I have been doing C25K three days a week for a bit. You might find that REALLY useful for bumping up your cardio. I even have a friend who does it on the elliptical to help her knees.

I also just found the strong curves work out that I'm going to be the trying.

The issue is that you don't give us a lot of stats. Gender/age/weight/fitness level are all great info to help us make suggestions for you. For just about every post on these forums you'll need to provide this information.
  • ktkar85
    ktkar85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I had a friend just recommend C25K as well, I need to look into that!

Female, 31, 5'2", 180 pounds. I sit all day at work, but walk as much as I can and usually get between 9,000- 10,000 steps a day. I'm going to the gym for an hour every morning M-F and weekends when I can fit it in.

• ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good routine, cardio & weights. That's what I did, and I would also alternate muscle groups/sets/reps every month or so.
  • Andre83pinto
    Andre83pinto Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ktkar85 wrote: »
    I recently joined a gym for the first time in my life. I've faithfully gone every morning so far, and hope to keep it up! The first few days I struggled to even stay at the gym for an hour. I'm so out of shape even a light walk on the treadmill was killing me. In the last week I've noticed that everything has gotten a little easier and I've been able to stay on each machine for longer and up the intensity a little. I know that in time, I'll be able to knock out more calories at the gym.
    My current routine is 20 minutes on the treadmill (Starting a little slower to get warmed up, then I bump it up as much as I can without killing myself!) then I head to the elliptical....as of right now I can only last 10 minutes. Then I do 20 minutes on the stationary bike. I have been moving on to the weight machines after that at do legs one day, arms the other for about 15 - 20 minutes. I'm curious what everyone else does at the gym, is there a routine you follow? Any tips or advice?
    ktkar85 wrote: »

• Andre83pinto
    Andre83pinto Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Katr the cardio is very important thing to on the gym but don't over do it otherwise you lose strength whenever you to push or pull, ideally start 10 treadmill or bicycle and go straight to weights one chest and shoulders finish 10 or 15 cardio steps or other day 2 Back and biceps other day legs and core always cardio before and after
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I only use the gym to lift. In that regard, I really recommend following an established program rather than just focusing on your arms and legs...
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love doing classes as that motivates me more, and I get bored easily just by myself on the machines. I do 2 circuit classes, 1 Zumba, 1 pilates and 1 total body conditioning (mix of cardio, strength and abs). I love my classes!!
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest focusing on weights for best results :) I usually do about 20 minutes on the stair master and then alternate between arms and legs each day and I go as heavy as possible. Weight seshes usually last around 30 minutes for me so I'm there at total of 50 minutes or so!
  • P1NKWARR10R
    P1NKWARR10R Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi. I do chest & shoulder on Monday, back & biceps on Tuesday, legs & triceps on Thursday, and cardio M,T,T,F.
  • cadpro78
    cadpro78 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Gym routine is to work with the rowing cardio or some elliptical maybe...then concentrate on my strength values if time allows after 35-45 mintes of doing gym days twice a week.
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 4 times a week. Two of those days, I do an hour long BodyPump class. I wouldn't recommend it until you get more strength and stamina after a couple months of regularly working out. The other days I do cardio on the elliptical or stairmill for 30 minutes and another 30 minutes of "top" or "bottom" day. Top day I work out major muscles above the waist, bottom day it's all about the butt and legs.