Gastric Band or similar surgery has it helped?

Options
Hey everyone, just wanted to know if anyone has a gastric band or similar and if it has made a lot of difference and been able to keep your weight of? Plus any Pro's or Con's X

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I've know people that had incredible success, and people with massive failures. WLS forces you to eat less so you end up in a calorie deficit. If you do not change your lifestyle particularly high calorie foods, it'll be a short term and other than the sleeve, irreversible solution.

If you can change your lifestyle, then kiddos, if WLS is the route you want to take, go for it. If not, I can't really support it (just my opinion as I'm seeing one person gain back almost everything they lost).
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I had a band 11 years ago and has ruined me in many ways. I'm desperate for it to be removed but can't afford it private and doctor won't do it until I'm normal weight anyway... Kinda ironic have to lose weight fighting the band instead of using it

• bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    my sister had the gastric bypass about 2 yrs ago and lost the 8st than she needed to lose,but in the last 6 months has gained back 3 stone. she is focused on losing it again now, buts its not an easy fix, you still have to work at maintaining it .
  • nenecris
    nenecris Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Looks like everyone is on the same page, if you can change your habits and attitude towards food with the surgery you can be very successful.
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    nenecris wrote: »
    Looks like everyone is on the same page, if you can change your habits and attitude towards food with the surgery you can be very successful.

But similarly the lesson i'm now finally learning is that if you changed your habbits and attitudes before the surgery it saves a lot of pain and (in some cases) irriversable consequences.

The lessons you have to learn sooner or later .... i found out too late... my band went wrong and causes me a lot of trouble to this day which has led to a massive psychological battle .... over the 10 years i've developed an utter loathing for food which then led to me focussing on the foods i can eat which tended to be (hollow) comfort...

I'm now in a mess .... i've finally taken control of the situation but its taken counselling and a complete change up on how and what i eat..... one day when this is removed i'll then have to slowly (and it'll be years i guess) relearn to enjoy food again ... and maybe in the process relearn to love myself.
  • Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I got the band in 2003. I lost over 100 lbs. then have slowly gained it all back. I want it removed but can't pay for that. I have a hernia from it, terrible GERD from it ... it's awful. I changed my eating habits and kept the weight off for years, but then fell off the wagon and started eating sweets and pasta, everything that can slide right through the band. You're supposed to eat a high protein diet with the band so the pouch can stay filled longer and you eat less. But I didn't stick to that. I would not recommend it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I'd never recommend it. A close friend of mine had a bypass, about 3 years ago, and she made her decision without informing friends because she knew we would be against it. Thankfully, she has stuck to her changed habits. She lost 50 pounds before, and 50+ more after the surgery. She is literally half the person she used to be. I hope she continues with her new habits, and honestly, in her case, I think she is a strong enough person, smart enough, and determined enough, to stay on the right path. Unfortunately so many others are not. And the complications can be awful. It's a discipline/gluttony issue - plain and simple. Such a shame to see people lose control to the point that their own health is put at risk. I know it's hard to lose weight. It's difficult to ignore the foods you have come to love. I think grit/determination, and having a LOT of support at home, and with friends, are 2 of the most critical basic requirements for success - whether you have the surgery or not.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I've posted this before on this same topic but here is my experience - Like most things, people talk mostly about the negatives. I had surgery almost 4 years ago. The reason people fail after surgery is the same reason people fail at CICO weight loss approach - they don't do what they are supposed to do. Surgery in and of itself will not be the answer. It's a tool. Like with any approach to weight loss, there has to be commitment and and understanding of the process. Speaking for myself - I knew that pushing 400 lbs wasn't normal, so before choosing surgery I chose to have a year of therapy. I knew that I had to get things right in my head before I would get things right with my health. I am healthier than ever now. I had zero problems post surgery. I take regular vitamins, like MANY people do who never had surgery. I watch what I eat like MANY people do who didn't have surgery. The surgery helped me get out of danger faster than I would have on my own. I am grateful I had this option. All this said, surgery is NOT for everyone. It's not a miracle, it isn't going to do all the work, and like any other tool, you have to take care to keep things working properly.

All that said - gastric band is definitely going by the wayside, even 4 years ago my surgeon wasn't offering it as an option.