Strength Training Question - Arms

Options
Hi All

I have started strength training using my body weight. Right arm getting results and has soreness more than the left one. Any suggestions? Is it only about balance?

Need your advise plz

Thanks

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Keep training them equally. It is normal to be stronger on one side but it should gradually balance out. You might pay attention to how much you favor the right side and try to correct it a bit. I've noticed that I do almost everything with my right hand without thinking about it. I'm now trying to do things like pick up weight plates to move them, put on dumbbell locks, etc with my left hand.
  • solovino1
    solovino1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Might want go unilateral which should balance it out and allow you to see your progress.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Soreness does not equal results. How long have you been at it?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You want balance, continue with the Novice LP and read the book.

You'll get all the info you need.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It is very common to have your dominate side over compensate for weakness on the opposing side. The majority of my workouts are body weight so my recommendation would be to try focusing more on the movement and not reps. The other thing to try is add isolation workouts so you can focus only on one muscle and one arm so you get equal workout. Have you tried using rings for your workouts? Rings will allow you to isolate and focus on certain muscle groups while also increasing your core strength. Best of luck!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    our bodies aren't symmetrical
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm now trying to do things like pick up weight plates to move them, put on dumbbell locks, etc with my left hand.

i did this. just a quirky little 'fun' thing a few years ago. Thou Shalt Use Only Left Hand For The Clips.

end result: i still have a lot of the typical right-dominant imbalance stuff, but i can't handle those clips with anything but my left. i wasn't as rigourous as i could have been bout the plate wrangling though.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    We aren't symmetrical. My right is stronger than my left, but my left has more definition than my right. Go figure.
  • nmagdy2017
    nmagdy2017 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My right arm used to be very week. I don't use it a lot as it was broken when I was a baby and since then I used to not using it. Adding to that the dr didn't do the right job and this caused my arm to be bent at the elbow
    It's now hurting no so much. I walk up in pain. Ice makes it better but I have hard times moving it