Scary food I purchased by accident

Options
So I discovered I really liked salad with some picked stuff. Pepperoncinis, asparagus etc.
I picked up a bunch of different things at costco to try. Unfortunately I only looked at the nutrition info.
So I ended up with two jars of Kirkland artichoke hearts in oil. I wouldn't have gotten them if I had realized they were not in brine/vinegar.
Serving size is 28g and only 2g of fat. Tried them today. Quite tasty but what worries me is the amount of fat you get is going to be very variable. I don't want to throw them out. Have people dealt with this problem? What did you do? Of course I could be worrying for no reason. I don't mind the fat but I do mind my accounting for the calories being way off.
I am thinking I need to let them sit for a while to let the oil drain. Or maybe I only eat them a few times / week so the error stays small. I normally tend to eat stuff again and again till it's gone then move to something else.

Replies

• green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Drain them, dry on paper towel. Save the oil for salad dressings or roasted veg.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The nutrition info should account for the oil they hold. It doesn't sound very accurate since it seems to me that an artichoke heart would naturally hold on to more oil than 2g just because of how it's shaped, even after being drained. I would definitely treat these as a sometimes food.
  • neillc57
    neillc57 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The nutrition info should account for the oil they hold. It doesn't sound very accurate since it seems to me that an artichoke heart would naturally hold on to more oil than 2g just because of how it's shaped, even after being drained. I would definitely treat these as a sometimes food.

Yes. My worry was that 2g seemed too small. Artichoke hearts don't have any fat if I look them up so it's all added.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Just blot them well and follow the counts on the label. If you want to be really conservative about it, assume that you're getting an additional 1/2 tablespoon of oil per every 2-3 hearts or something like that.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Scary was used in very juvenile terms here :#
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Oh I love artichokes in oil, good in pastas and bean salads. Oil is calorie dense, but it is not scary...
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Vegetable oil, especially olive oil, is good for you. Yes, it's calorie-dense so you will need to guess how much of it you are consuming but you NEED it for health. Read this for the straight skinny on fats: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/types-of-fat/
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    honestly I think you are over thinking - if a serving is 28g and you get 2g of fat that is 18cal, if you get 4g that is 36cal - that is well within a standard error of measurement
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Spinach in a can. Just nasty.
  • neillc57
    neillc57 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    honestly I think you are over thinking - if a serving is 28g and you get 2g of fat that is 18cal, if you get 4g that is 36cal - that is well within a standard error of measurement

Except what you are saying here is keep the portion small to minimize the error. That's one of the strategies I essentially suggested by limiting the amount you eat in say a week.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Rinse them in a colander, then pat dry. This will remove most of the oil. Then add 5 grams vegetable oil into your diary as a buffer.