Its almost crockpot season -How to weigh?

Options
fitoverfortymom
fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
edited August 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Dear MFP,

Its almost Crock Pot season!

My crockpot insert is too heavy for my food scale. Normally with recipe builder, I weigh everything raw, enter the recipe, cook the recipe, weigh everything cooked, then take those total grams so that 1g = 1 serving and then just weigh myself the portion I want.

How do I do that when doing slow cooker recipes? I can't imagine emptying the contents into a lighter vessel and then weighing, but maybe that's the only way?

Any other brilliant MFP minds figure this out?

Sincerely,

Souping in Colorado

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I just weigh the raw ingredients and use them in the recipe builder, I split the portions into however many I need after I've cooked them and amend the portion number if it changes, I do it as evenly as possible but if one is more than another it's not going to make much difference in the long haul whether I have one that is say 210g one day and one that is 190g another day if they are meant to be approximately 200g.

Same here on when it is cooked.
    To prepare I weigh all the ingredients in a different dish before I transfer it into the crockpot And reuse the weighing dish every time before transfer - that way I minimise the loss in transfer. Never been an issue doing it that way
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I just weigh each portion as I put it away.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I don't want to mess up a thread, but
    there is a crockpot season?
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I had a dry run at this a week or so ago- didn't go well. I plan on buying a new scale with an extra large base and higher capacity.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I used to transfer it into a different dish, which was definitely a pain. And I often had to do it in batches.

If it's cooked for a while, then some liquid has likely evaporated out, so pre-weighing the ingredients might not be exact. Probably close enough, but if I'm going to weigh, I'd like to be exact.

This is why I bought a 22-lb scale when my old one died.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I put the empty crockpot on the body scales to get its weight and once cooked hop on the scale, then hop on the scale with the pot. It is the closest I can get to being accurate.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Recipe builder my friend - everything that goes into the crockpot goes into the recipe builder, I decide how many portions it will make, once it's cooked I weigh the whole thing, and split it by number of portions, and then pack them up like that. It's brilliant! (I cook with the crockpot once a week because it's easier than cooking 6-8 times a week haha)
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I just use large plastic storage containers - I found some good Tupperware 12-cup and 16-cup containers at goodwill thrift store. I weighed the empty containers and marked the weight on them with a Sharpie.

I just ladle a round number (1000g, 2000g, etc.) into one. Tip: place a squat bowl on the scale to raise the container so you can see the scale display. Then weigh any remaining into the last one and add up the amounts. I have a 11lb./5kg max scale and do not find this process too cumbersome.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    They have these awesome crockpot liners. I would think it would work awesome. The off the crockpot liner and weigh the stew (or whatever) that way.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    Recipe builder my friend - everything that goes into the crockpot goes into the recipe builder, I decide how many portions it will make, once it's cooked I weigh the whole thing, and split it by number of portions, and then pack them up like that. It's brilliant! (I cook with the crockpot once a week because it's easier than cooking 6-8 times a week haha)

Agreed.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I also find it funny that cooking with crockpots is a fall/winter thing.
    Here in Texas, it's really nice to use them in the summertime, and not have to hest up your whole house turning on the oven. In all fairness, though, I guess they mostly are used for soups & "comfort foods".
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Dear MFP,

Its almost Crock Pot season!

My crockpot insert is too heavy for my food scale. Normally with recipe builder, I weigh everything raw, enter the recipe, cook the recipe, weigh everything cooked, then take those total grams so that 1g = 1 serving and then just weigh myself the portion I want.

How do I do that when doing slow cooker recipes? I can't imagine emptying the contents into a lighter vessel and then weighing, but maybe that's the only way?

Any other brilliant MFP minds figure this out?

Sincerely,

Souping in Colorado

Honestly.. that's what I do. I doubt it's the only way, but it's generally quicker/easier for me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

My mom will do a roast in there year round, but it gets used more in colder weather for chili, bean soup, potato soup, etc.

Okay, yes, topic. I weigh it as I'm serving as I'm in the same boat with my scale.