Nasty comments from strangers

Replies

• CrazyComicLady
    CrazyComicLady Posts: 98 Member
    This post seems very familiar....have you been here before op.

Nope, this is only the second topic I've ever created on mfp. The first one was an introduction and friend hunt.
  • CrazyComicLady
    Tell her "hey I can always lose weight and look good. You're an ahole so you'll always look ugly"

Haha wish I'd thought of that at the time and had the balls to say it.
  • CrazyComicLady
    Massive thank you to everyone for your support, I was letting this eat at me way to much and your comments have really helped me put it to one side. Your all awesome people, thanks for your kindness and understanding Xxx
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,064 Member
    Some people are just idiots.

I have the same BMI as you, but 5'7 and 170lbs.
    I remember I got the confidence to wear tight leggings, a backless top and some nice boots and some random guy shouted "stripper!!" Out the van!

I was walking with my 3yo and baby in a pram!
    I've not worn it since!
    It can really knock you what people say.
    But from what you've said about your past it sounds like you've dealt with much more difficult things than some stupid cow at the park!

Be proud of what you've achieved! :)
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    People are trash. I'm sorry that happened to you.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    This is where I have perfected a slightly WTF, quizzical look, like you'd have if you just saw something slightly gross but inexplicable and you're trying to work out what it is, and just hold that, silently, until they get uncomfortable and go away.

Like this one:

DBSM08uWAAA8W6v.jpg
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 75 Member
    I know two things for sure
    1) NEVER ask a Woman if she's expecting (even if she is) cause it quite often leads to(I'm sooo big and a bucket of tears)
    2) NEVER tell a person they look heavier, it's very hurtful

I've experienced both. The 2) I had lost 15 lbs and was excited about that an that comment derailed me for a looooooong time
    Hugs to you and ppl can be so flipping rude
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Ugh that is awful. So sorry!
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    I think, under circumstances where someone is so unnecessary, incredibly rude, that it is perfectly acceptable to look that person dead in the eyes and tell them to go eff themselves.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Hi there, I had an unpleasant experience with a woman I see occasionally when I walk my dog, she said it looked like I'd put on weight, complete with unflattering hand gestures indicating how fat I was, I got as far as to say 'I suffer from disabilities' before she cut me off and said that was no excuse. I'm really upset and angry about this, she doesn't know me or anything about my life. The last few days I've been having to use crutches around the house because my condition as been so bad, I can't use them when I take the dog out because I need both hands to control her so I manage as best I can without them, often hobbling and limping my way home. (I suffer from partly fused ankles/tarsal coalitions and Ehler danlos syndrome). She has no right to judge me, the stupid thing is that I haven't gained any weight in the few weeks since I last saw her. I have put on about 12 lbs this year because I've been really struggling with a lot of stresses in my life but I'm still 22lbs less than I was 2 years ago. I've always struggled with my self esteem when it comes to my appearance but to have it confirmed by a stranger is so soul crushing, I feel so discussing. I hate myself.
    She even said I 'should use one of those tablet things' to help. (I've been on this app since late 2015) I walked away at that point. Ive struggled with eating disorders since I was a teen. I've been a battling my emotional eating for 16 years. God knows I try.
    I'm so deflated and upset. Other people's thoughtless comments can be so damaging when your not in a good headspace. I'm 5'4 and 157lbs

Have you guys had any similar experiences or received comments from people which has shaken your confidence?

I hope this does not seem offensive and really want to help:

accept and LOVE yourself for who you are and pay no mind to others thoughts. You define the kind of person you are going to be not someone else. If I listened to what others had said to me I would still be 275lbs or more and would have never met anyone much less get married and been in the Military. I know its hard sometimes, it feels like the entire world and circumstances are stacked against you, but I must tell you something, you must strengthen your mind before your body. Once you have found what is causing you to feel the way you do and realize your life is in your control no mater what condition you might be in you will then find the confidence to turn a new leaf and move forward destroying everyones expectations (loosing weight, ect) and define how you want to be to the world instead of letting others in the world to define you.

Good luck friend and enjoy the journey, stay strong, remember you don't need easy, you just need possible!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Yeah, I've had lots of people say things in the course of my life that have shaken my confidence. But that generally just has to do with me.

Then there's this: I'm likely older than you, something I've observed- people are nuts. Some of them very nuts. She may have her walls papered with tinfoil for all you know.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    no sorry I haven't...people are intimidated by me for some reason...so if they wanted to say something they wouldn't.

But i know this happens a lot...I just SMH...and remember this...unless that person has a role in your life...then they can't dictate how you feel...

or a fav quote

If you got a problem with me call me/text me...if you can't cause you don't have my number you don't know me well enough to have a problem with me.

This for me too. People seem scared of me and I am rarely confronted with BS.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    "You seem particularly bitchy these days. Have you thought about going on a personality cleanse??"

Don't worry about the opinions of people who you don't respect. This person is not worthy of respect.
  • anechka1981
    anechka1981 Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2017
    This is harsh
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Drop your dog's "package" where she will tread on it, or put it by the wheel of her car.
    She needs to get a life, and stop looking at magazines full of airbrushed stick insects so she's forgotten what a normal person looks like.
    Don't let it get to you, people like that are not worth bothering with.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Get one of those hooks you can put on a belt loop and hook your dog's leash to it so you can use a cane when you walk them so that you have something handy to smack some sense into her the next time you see her.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    Get one of those hooks you can put on a belt loop and hook your dog's leash to it so you can use a cane when you walk them so that you have something handy to smack some sense into her the next time you see her.
    Love this idea!

• elizarizo
    elizarizo Posts: 489 Member
    My brothers kids always tell me how squishy I am
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    stop renting space in your head to fucktards...you have zero control over other people, the only thing you can control is how you react to them.

oooooh how have I not realised that one of my favourite idiot descriptors is not a kittenable offence!