Are oats for breakfast actually good for weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Any food that doesn't leave you hungry all day is great for breakfast. Totally personal preference. I feel eggs/sausage/bacon tends to fill me up and keep me filled more than Oats.

Well said.

Overnight oats with Greek yogurt don't have enough protein to keep me full. Sometimes I make them for a bedtime snack. Several carby foods make me sleepy, so I like them before bed.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    mnfarmgal wrote: »
    so.. are you eating these overnight oat combinations cold or are you warming them up?? i'm so baffled by it.

Cold. When you mix raw oats with yogurt, the bacteria in the yogurt softens the oats and the moisture plumps them up. I also find the yogurt firms up a little (since the oats pulled the moisture out) and has more of a custardy consistency. Some people add a little milk to avoid that.

OP, I eat oatmeal with PB and frozen berries most days as my first meal, usually around noon. I find it filling enough and I love it. But I eat around 50% carbs, so I don't have to worry about that. I know other people don't find a reasonable serving of oats filling enough though. But it is for me, and It fits well within my calorie goal, which is the most important thing :)

I warm up my overnight oats for about 30 seconds I don't use yogurt is that weird lol?

So do you just use milk? Oddly, I think the idea of warm milk is fine, but the idea of warm yogurt is just... Ewww. Go figure! I like it with yogurt because like I said it ends up thick and custardy lie a dessert :).

Same, it has crossed my mind when it's been unexpectedly chilly and I don't want a cold breakfast but the idea of warming yoghurt is weird. And yet I add yoghurt to curries etc. Ah the human brain.

I also don't understand overnight oats without yoghurt, isn't the whole point that they're yoghurt (or dairy free substitute) based?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I do my oats the "Q&D way" 40g Old Fashioned oats, 1 cup water, 2 minutes in the microwave, dash of cinnamon and eat.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Although I love having a nice bowl of oatmeal with some fruit and a wee bit of maple syrup - it does not "stick to my ribs" as my Mom would say. I would be hungry again an hour later.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    mnfarmgal wrote: »
    so.. are you eating these overnight oat combinations cold or are you warming them up?? i'm so baffled by it.

Cold. When you mix raw oats with yogurt, the bacteria in the yogurt softens the oats and the moisture plumps them up. I also find the yogurt firms up a little (since the oats pulled the moisture out) and has more of a custardy consistency. Some people add a little milk to avoid that.

OP, I eat oatmeal with PB and frozen berries most days as my first meal, usually around noon. I find it filling enough and I love it. But I eat around 50% carbs, so I don't have to worry about that. I know other people don't find a reasonable serving of oats filling enough though. But it is for me, and It fits well within my calorie goal, which is the most important thing :)

I warm up my overnight oats for about 30 seconds I don't use yogurt is that weird lol?

So do you just use milk? Oddly, I think the idea of warm milk is fine, but the idea of warm yogurt is just... Ewww. Go figure! I like it with yogurt because like I said it ends up thick and custardy lie a dessert :).

Yes I just use milk. I didn't like the consistency with yogurt. don't like custard which makes sense lol. I make overnight oats out of convience. I just grab & go and If I want warm it goes in for 30 sec.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Preference. I need more protein for breakfast. But they make a wonderful nighttime snack on a cold night.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I can't eat plain oatmeal but add a tablespoon of chopped nuts and a half cup of fruit, and I'm full most of the morning!
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Weight loss is about calories not carbs. If you are eating at a calorie deficit.....you aren't going to store fat even if you are over on carbs.

I like oats in the a.m. - but I only find them filling when I add protein. I cook my oats in milk and then add some chopped fruit. Staying in a deficit is about finding foods that are satiating to you.

WRONG. Carbs is another way to lose weight, My diet is 150 carbs a day, about 50 carbs per meal. Alot of mornings, I will eat the 40 something carbs of oatmeal, then salad for lunch, which had less than 20 carbs. So fit it in when you want.

Yes, oatmeal tastes carboard, I have to add brown sugar.
  • boulank
    boulank Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    About a year ago, I started eating oatmeal every morning (steel cut) in an attempt to lower my cholesterol. My doctor wanted to put me on medication. Since then, I have lost over 50 pounds and according to a non fasting cholesterol test taken at Kaiser wellness check, my overall cholesterol is in the normal range. Is it the oatmeal or just eating fewer calories? I can't say for sure, but oatmeal definitely makes me feel fuller in the morning than other foods. I usually just mix in a banana with it.

Same for me eating Oatmeal almost daily for 6 months put my cholesterol in the ideal range from a warning range. Has not stalled my weight loss at all.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories not carbs. If you are eating at a calorie deficit.....you aren't going to store fat even if you are over on carbs.

I like oats in the a.m. - but I only find them filling when I add protein. I cook my oats in milk and then add some chopped fruit. Staying in a deficit is about finding foods that are satiating to you.

WRONG. Carbs is another way to lose weight, My diet is 150 carbs a day, about 50 carbs per meal. Alot of mornings, I will eat the 40 something carbs of oatmeal, then salad for lunch, which had less than 20 carbs. So fit it in when you want.

It's not "another way," people who lose weight due to cutting carbohydrates are simply creating a calorie deficit. It's the same way, it's just one of many methods people use to control calorie intake.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

If controlling your carbs helped you to lose weight, it's because doing so helped you eat less calories.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

It's not "another way," people who lose weight due to cutting carbohydrates are simply creating a calorie deficit. It's the same way, it's just one of many methods people use to control calorie intake.

If controlling your carbs helped you to lose weight, it's because doing so helped you eat less calories.
    In agreement with both posters.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

So you're saying you can eat over your maintenance calories to lose weight......because you are low carb?

This defies science.
  • xcazax
    xcazax Posts: 43 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I notice a huge difference (for the better) when I eat overnight oats for breakfast before going for a run compared to other things like egg and toast for breakfast. Feel like I have so much more energy (who knows if this is psychological or not). I make mine by adding 27g of oats to one pot of yogurt and 80g of frozen berries x