Teacher try'n to loose

Options
So I have been teaching teens for 10 years now and each year, I have gained about 10 lbs. I am on my feet most of the day, but I guess my stress level and time make it where when I get off work... I stop at a fast food place or we go out to eat. No doubt eatting out has caused my most weight. I like to workout, I just need to make time for myself now, and I plan on it. I can't imagine gaining anymore. I'm over it.
I was 105 lbs when I started teaching. In college I was tiny, I worked out everydaydoing all sorts of activities at school. All that was pushed aside.

Replies

• EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Get it Carrie! Get in shape! You can totally do this! Good job on getting on here.. Welcome!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Carrie: Good for you for joining the MFP family. You deserve to look and feel your best....you have just copped onto some bad habits. You sound like me...a stress eater. You can totally kick it! Friend me if you like....teachers need to stick together! :heart:
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Hi

Hope you are getting ready to concur the world on this site. I will tell you with some strong determination and the will to succeed you will go far. I have done well by logging all my food. It helps to do it before you eat it (you will be surprise how many calories are in things) I check,check and recheck the calorie content because they are not always accurate on the site. I am not a big exercise person (very hard to fit it in most days) . I work out abit with my WII (too much fun) I started by calorie level at 1200 but after a few weeks I discovered that it was far to low so I brought it up to 1430 and I lose 1 pound a week almost like clockwork. I hit the wall a couple times and did not lose for the week then the following week it got its MoJo back and off it came. I can tell you that I do budget for a treat ( I love Yoplait delights chocolate raspberry) There is a really good web site hungry girl.com tons of recipes for some yummy food (one of my favs is chicken cordon blu ) I really began to have more energy at about 20 pounds off. It is funny because the body changes slowly but its cool to discover all the new things that you have (or to be more exact the things you don’t have) like one less roll on your tummy or hey I forgot I have dimples in my cheeks :bigsmile: Again you can do it just hang in there an be patient.
    Pam
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too and I know about stress. As teachers we have to take active steps to reduce our stress load as stress leads to increased cortisol levels which contributes to belly fat, a problem I know all too well. The difficulty for me is that it's always someone's birthday or something like that so there are always snacks, cakes etc on the staffroom table - aaarrrgh!!!!!

I've taken some practical steps to help me to eat better and work out, they are:
    1) Always bring a packed lunch and enough sensible snacks for the day.
    2) Not bring money to work. That way you can't buy from vending machines or buy anything on the way home from work.
    3) Pack your gym back and bring it with you to work. Go to the gym straight after work do not go home as if you do you probably won't come back out to go to the gym.

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to add me as a friend for support and encouragement during your journey :smile:
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Welcome to myfitnesspal. Keep in touch because I will be starting another teacher support group around the beginning to middle of August.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
  • ktcarr82
    ktcarr82 Posts: 18
    Options
    When I read your post, I felt like I was hearing my story all over again. I am also a teacher. We eat out almost every day during the school year because I am sooo tired and stressed when I leave work. I am making an effort to do better. Good luck when school starts back!
  • orlandosgoddess21
    orlandosgoddess21 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I understand as well. I am a teacher and I have watched year after year the pounds going up and up. With all we have to do, it's shocking we live as long as every other profession. You can do it!!
  • apexmomof5
    apexmomof5 Posts: 16
    Options
    I am in the same situation! I teach 6 & 7th graders, and each year for the past 3 years, I have put on 5-7 pounds. It's coming off!!!! I know we can do it!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    How are you doing? The holidays are always the roughest for anybody, but especially teachers. The kids can get so crazy! Just checking in!

Shannon