Keep reading the Labels!

Options
Even when you have been eating a certain food for a while, it is important to keep checking the labels as I discovered this morning. I have been buying the same protein powder for a couple years now. I know it is 150 cals/26 g protein per 1 scoop, and approx 26 servings per container... I recently opened a new canister of strawberry powder and thought, hmm the scoop seems bigger, maybe it's just shallower and bigger around. I had torn off part of the nutrition label when I unsealed it, so no way to verify the numbers but shrugged it off. Today I opened a new canister of chocolate and noticed the big type "NOW 30g Protein per serving!" Hey cool right?? Until I read the rest of the label, and saw that the calories are now 170, and the servings per container has dropped to 21, and oh look - a bigger scoop. It's only 20 calories difference and I'll take more protein any day, but it just reminded me how important it is to actually read the labels, measure carefully, and continue to do so periodically in case things change!

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I recently had to re-purchase protein powder and it had the same thing happen. Bigger serving size/scoop so I made sure to change the amount in my food data base.

I only noticed it because of the print on the label too. We must have bought the same brand. Was it Body Fortress? lol
  • momsgettinhealthy
    momsgettinhealthy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I noticed a much larger scoop in my recently opened protein powder too. I just thought it was me. I have been buying Body Fortress as well.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Yep!! Body Fortress!!! LOL.....