20min vs 45min of weight lifting...

Options
If my volume is the same, 16 sets, does the duration matter?

Opting to get all 16 sets done in about 20min rather than 45min, by cutting rest between sets.

Able to do almost the same volume, with the same weight, and trying to build up to the same volume as a 45min workout within 20min...

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It depends on your program but it certainly could. Part of the reason for between sets rest is to allow for ATP recovery so that you get the most benefit from the next set. Why the rush?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would think you'd be doing yourself a disservice...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Not sustainable for very long.

At some point, you'll need the rest. It's best to practice resting before you get to that point.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Opting to get all 16 sets done in about 20min rather than 45min, by cutting rest between sets.

Able to do almost the same volume, with the same weight, and trying to build up to the same volume as a 45min workout within 20min...

# of sets does not determine volume. Volume would be total tonnage moved, so sets*reps*weight.

I see no reason to rest (much) longer than necessary, in general terms. However, I'd say it's better to rest a little longer and ensure you get all your reps vs. losing a rep or two (or more, even) by resting too little.

If you end up actually having the same volume, then I see no reason to take more time than necessary. That said, as you progress, if you start missing reps or can't increase the weight as you should, then you'll probably do better to rest longer.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "Opting to get all 16 sets done in about 20min rather than 45min, by cutting rest between sets."

If your goal is to lift heavy, I believe you are doing yourself a disservice. Since you able to do all your reps/sets without rest, you are not lifting as heavy as you could and, maybe, should. If your goal is to lift lighter with more reps, it's probably fine, but, you may not be getting the reps you would if resting between sets.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you're gonna get different results from your workout over time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

If you're able to recover enough to condense 45 minutes to 20 you're probably slacking :)

Essentially, there is a point to test duration, cutting it means that you're diminishing your available capacity so you're not going to get the same effect in a shorter time.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

don't quote me about this because i'm just another civilian, but it sounds like what you're looking to work on with this is stamina. that's a different thing from raw strength, so it kind of depends what you're really asking about.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

If you can do the same volume with the same weights in less than half the time, you're currently lifting too light and/or allowing yourself more than adequate rest periods between sets. I rest about 2.5 minutes between my sets of compound exercises. If I were to cut that in half, my successive sets would tank in terms of reps, or I'd have to significantly reduce the weights to complete the reps.

But theoretically speaking, if you were able to do the same volume/weights in less than half the time, the intensity of your workout would be much higher than it currently is. Intensity is one of the three variables that drive progress (Volume, Intensity and Frequency). So yes, the duration would theoretically matter.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What's the goal of your training session OP?

Different goals need different styles of training. So what you are doing could be suitable for your unstated goal or it could be counter-productive.
    So yes, duration does matter.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I superset with exercises that work different muscles, as I generally try and fit my workouts into my lunch break.
    My trainer's helped set up the supersetting so that it doesn't impact on my big lifts, and it seems to be working well for me and getting me results.

I used to do SL 5x5, and found the proscribed rest times felt really long, and that I could be doing something more useful with the time! I get that my legs need to rest between sets of squats, but I don't see why I can't use that time to do a set of bench press or whatever.
    (Apart from making sure there's space in the gym to do it, I'm not blocking anyone's use of equipment, and I'm letting people work in!)
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Eventually it becomes a steady state cardio workout though doesn't it?
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone, it's appreciated!

I've been lifting for a few years now and having a chaotic work schedule and a 5yr old who craves attention, so any extra time I could create in a day is a blessing...

Before, I would lift for about 45min- 1hr focusing on 1 muscle group each day, chest, back, shoulders, Biceps/triceps, or legs in rotation...

I got the book bigger leaner stronger by Mike Matthews and his program basically breaks down just like that with 4 warm up sets, followed by 9-12 heavy sets (I always go with 12) so 16 overall sets, lifting as heavy as you can lift 4-6 reps.

I generally do 3 exercises 4 sets each with the first being as heavy as I can for about 6 reps, the next 8 sets are usually in the 8-10 rep range but I never leave anything in the tank on a set, nearly always going to failure or near failure (no spotter so I have to be safe, gotta work)...

He recommends about 2 mins between sets, so I usually climb on the treadmill at an incline of 10 at 3mph for 1min between each set, the other 1 min I figure is burnt in transition...

Now what I've started doing is skipping the climbing between sets and just going for the next as soon as I'm ready, about 10 seconds between wu sets and about 20-30...Maybe 45 seconds between heavier sets if I'm gassed, usually I'll take the few extra seconds towards the end of an excersice just to make sure I don't lose a rep...

Not hitting quite the same volume but close enough to the point where I bet I can squeeze out those few extra reps within a week or 2 which should mean progress... Still sore and feel that tightness afterwards, and in some respects feel like I've gotten a better workout...

Thanks again all, any other ops are welcome!
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Got add this isn't all I do, I also add about 15mins of jacks and burpees (used to run for about 35-40 minutes but can't right now because of an inflamed Achilles) and ab 15 minutes of abs and stretching afterwards
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

I agree with others that simply cutting down on rest is doing yourself a disservice, but that entirely depends on your goal as well. To little rest, and your body may be too worn down for any progression to occur. You may not notice it the first week or the second week, but it usually catches up in time.

That said, as a full-time working mom of 4, I totally get the need for making my workouts as efficient as possible. Which is why I'm a huge fan of supersetting my workouts. Supersets allow you to move from one exercise to the next without rest, as each exercise works different muscle groups, so muscle group one is actually resting while muscle group two is being worked. I take my 2 min rest between supersets, but I actually take no rest between sets during each superset. It allowed me to take a 1hr full body workout and shrink it down to 30 mins.

In your case, since your current workout only focuses on one muscle group a day, you may not be able to shorten the 45 min session, but rather, you can combine day 1 and day 2 into a single 45 min workout and give your son the time you no longer need for your day 2 workout.
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    to save time , why not a HIT workout? (not HIIT)

you can either do it full body, or split it as you wish. you need much more time for recovery - so more time for family!

it is mentaly pretty heavy to force yourself between 5-8 reps until your muscel give up. in your case at least worth to try
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    to save time , why not a HIT workout? (not HIIT)

you can either do it full body, or split it as you wish. you need much more time for recovery - so more time for family!

it is mentaly pretty heavy to force yourself between 5-8 reps until your muscel give up. in your case at least worth to try

If you are talking about reps then you may not understand what HIIT really is. If your talking about barbell complex intervals then you are in the neighborhood. But they are not HIIT.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If you are aiming to get stronger, or bigger, that means really lifting at the max you can handle (lower reps = stronger, 8-15 = bigger, over 15 = more stamina.
    Now, if you are talking doing a set of chest, followed by a set of legs, with no rest between, repeat multiple times, that might work... but I think you are gonna find that you can't really max out the weights after the first set.

Think of it like the difference between doing 100 meter sprints (All out max, followed by a rest to recover), vs running basically non stop.
    Or more like run that 100m, do 20 pushups, get up and run another 100m, pushups, 100m, 20pu... you are gonna find that your time for each 100m is gonna take longer.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    chaotic work schedule and a 5yr old who craves attention, so any extra time I could create in a day is a blessing...

when i saw '5yo' and then 'burpees and jacks' in your next post, my first thought was: why are you wasting those in the gym? first-graders are probably the only critters on earth who probably think burpees are fun :smiley:

i don't know anything about the programme you picked and it would be rude for me to criticize it anyway. but i am wondering how wedded to it you are, because 16 sets is a LOT for anybody who's watching a clock. have you looked at any of the simpler 'strength' programmes that use compound lifts, like starting strength, stronglifts or wendler 5/3/1? wendler in particular is almost stupidly quick, if all you do is the 'main' lift of the day.

and if you like the volume work for its own sake, i had a great little patch for a while where i'd stagger the lifts so i'd have one that i was doing 5/3/1 style and the other one in 5x10 style. i found i could superset those with pretty minimal rest. if i was on a tear i could get in and get out in an hour including the time needed for things like shoe change. however, i tend to like my actual workouts to be extremely simple, and isolated 'body part' stuff makes me fidget and itch like i'm stuck in traffic. [brain yell: because INEFFICIENT AGGAH AGHH]. so maybe it isn't your thing if you're enjoying doing a range of different things every time you go in.
    Still sore and feel that tightness afterwards, and in some respects feel like I've gotten a better workout...

i hope this won't sound condescending. i don't mean it that way and it's not like i'm any kind of guru. but one of the things i really like about lifting is i don't feel like i have to worry about the destination so much any more. i just concentrate on liking the individual workout each time, in the sense of having an assignment and going in there to do the assignment and then assessing how i feel about the doing it, once it's done. the 'did i work hard enough' part and the 'is this going to make me stronger' . . . i don't think much about that anymore. kind of hte point of a programme is that you climb on and let it take care of that side of things.