649lbs and 3790 calories

Options

Replies

• clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting a lifestyle change. Stick with it and start excersizing, at least take a good walk.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I think that 3500 calories equals one pound, so I would think to actually lose weight, you'd have to be eating under that amount. But, I'm also pretty much winging it for myself, so I don't really know as much as I'd like to think I do

This wouldn't be accurate. To lose weight, you have to eat under the amount of calories that your body uses per day. Estimating how many calories your body uses per day is completely independent of how many calories it takes to lose one pound.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Had went to a hospital they said 2000. Went to doctor I believe she said 2500 calories... but she didn't calculate anything.... mfp says 3790, of course I like the higher number. I just don't know what number to use! They all say different things.

The deficit you are able to do, and be happy, is the right number. It will change over time, but the main thing is to focus on the process (tracking calories well) eating good foods, and the weight will take care of itself. If 3790 is working in two weeks, stick with it. :)
  • Mellykay88
    Mellykay88 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Welcome! MyFitnessPal is a wonderful tool. Stick with it and you will see results. I think that the calorie estimates can be high for people with a lot to lose, so following the doctors advice may be best in your situation. Of course, it will take some trial and error, but the most important thing is to start logging (accurately) so you know what your intake is and stick to it.
  • jensaylor04
    jensaylor04 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to try that for a week or two and then decrease it down to 3500. The first 10 to 20 pounds will come off fairly easy and then it will get more difficult. I weighed 381 when I started and my calculated calories for 2 lbs of weight loss per week was around 1900. After that first 15 pounds came off it was really difficult to loose weight. I found that I only lost weight if I reduced my calories to below 1400. I saw several doctors and decided to have bariatric surgery. My surgery is in one month and I'm hoping to loose another 20-30 before the surgery. I started a super strict 1000 calorie a day diet on Monday to accomplish this (under my doctor's supervision). After 3 months of a plateau I've lost 3.5 pounds after only 2 days on this new diet. I highly recommend going to a doctor and getting his advice. Once I did so, I found out that I had high blood pressure, diabetes and sleep apnea. Loosing weight became much easier once I got these other issues under control. Good luck to you on your journey. I know how hard it is but once the weight starts coming off you will be amazed at how much better you feel with each 20 pounds that come off.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is did the doctor give you a plan, and are they having you come in on a regular basis for follow up, or did they just off hand say 2000 or 2500? How engaged were they in the conversation?

Yes I wonder too b/c you would expect a bariatric medicine doc to give a very specific calorie count calculation not such a rounded number.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think that 3500 calories equals one pound, so I would think to actually lose weight, you'd have to be eating under that amount. But, I'm also pretty much winging it for myself, so I don't really know as much as I'd like to think I do

3500 calories is how much you need to burn . So for example if your body requires 2500 calories just to function and you subtract it by 500 you'll be in a decifit eating only 2000 . 500x7 = 3500
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Does 3790 calories for a day seem like too much for a person of my size?

No, it sounds reasonable.

Try it for a month and then tweak according to results.

Edit: I should really read the whole thread. I expect you will experience a steady rate of loss on 3,790 cals per day but given your high starting weight a more dramatic deficit where you eat at 2,000 - 2,500 cals per day would also work (the rationale being getting weight off quickly for overall health concerns justifies a steep calorie deficit.)