Nutritional value

Looking for ideas for foods high in iron the only thing in lacking in my nutritional information some days. Some days I get 100% others as low as half. Besides beans, and greens what contains lots of iron
? I eat lots of chicken, ground turkey, steak, pork, roast of stew, and some frozen fish. I eat beans sometimes, and some times I will eat lettuce but not big on it everyday.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,131 Member
    Are you going by MFP telling you how much iron you get? In many, many cases the foods in the database do not accurately reflect their vitamin and nutrient counts - either because it isn't on the label, or because people don't bother to put in any more info than the calories, fat, carbs and protein.

If this is the case, have a look at some of your entries which have a 0 iron value and do some Googling to confirm they really don't have iron - often you will be surprised and will be getting more than you think.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    MFP isn't very accurate on the micronutrients. If you are checking the iron levels of your food independently and still lacking iron, a good multivitamin with iron should help.

Meat (beef, poultry, fish), lentils, and leafy greens are all high in iron.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited August 2017
    I agree with prior posters who indicate that many entries here lack iron information.

In addition to the recommendations already, here are some more foods rich in heme iron, which is more readily absorbed by our bodies than that in veggies/lentils and fortified foods:
    clams, oysters, mussels, and other mollusks
    liver
    sardines and other fish, especially tuna, salmon and haddock
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Looking for ideas for foods high in iron the only thing in lacking in my nutritional information some days. Some days I get 100% others as low as half. Besides beans, and greens what contains lots of iron
    ? I eat lots of chicken, ground turkey, steak, pork, roast of stew, and some frozen fish. I eat beans sometimes, and some times I will eat lettuce but not big on it everyday.

Sounds like you are getting plenty of iron. :)B):)
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Mini wheats and other cereals have iron. For more accurate meat entries consider typing : USDA chicken breasts (example)