HRM watches........I have questions

Options
mamagooskie
mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
Okay so up until 2-3 weeks ago I wasn't even entirely sure what a HRM is/was/does. So I obviously had no intention of buying one however recently I have decided I would like one. There have been so many times that I do an activity not part of my usual routine but something that def burned calories and had no way to calculate and this upcoming week I will have 2 more such occasions.....plus with summer with me being just more active I'd like to be able to record some of this "bonus" exercise.

anyway today I was in walmart and happened to see 3 different HRM watches. They all seemed to be around the 60$ mark. One was really nice, looked like a ladies sport watch (the others were more manly) but anyway I'm wondering if they are worth the money, if they work? or if there are other HRM suggestions out there you can give me.

I would really rather not spend more than 100$ and of course the less the better. Waterproof is a bonus, I will be doing some "swimming" aka chasing the kids through the water at the lake.....not really doing any actual swimming/laps etc.

SPAM ME please with links to good HRM, or give me suggestions.....or if someone has a HRM watch let me know if you like it, what brand it is etc.

thanks so much.

Replies

• sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    Bump - I don't have an anwer for you, but am interested in the answer.
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    I have Polar F6 and I would definatly reccomend it! I Love mine and got it for around 80 dollars. I would sugest one definatly with a cheast strap it is more accurate.
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    I have Polar F6 and I would definatly reccomend it! I Love mine and got it for around 80 dollars. I would sugest one definatly with a cheast strap it is more accurate.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have polar f6 and really like it. The watch is pink and small for a womens wrist. It is usually around $110, but sears had them on sale. I use it alot, and it works great!
    whichever one you get make sure it has chest strap, cuz it is more accurate!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and paid $100 through my gym. I love it.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my polar! And yes, get one with a chest strap, the ones that are just a watch are not accurate.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm the odd one out in that I don't have a polar HRM (I got mine as a gift). I got an Oregon Scientific that my husband got on amazon. Right now it's $63 and has TONS of features; many of which I haven't used yet, but I will so it's great to know they're available to me. It's waterproof for swimming in pools, etc, but it's not for diving or deep water. The link to amazon is below and the specs with all the features it has is below for your viewing pleasure. I absolutely love it and it's like the swiss army knife of HRMs!

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Scientific-SE300-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000MB1UWY
    Review/features: http://www.heart-rate-monitor-watches.com/oregon-scientific-se300-heart-rate-monitor.html
  • spookydolly76
    Options
    I too have a polar heart rate monitor with a chest strap, it's the F7, it cost $260.00 NZD, I would be lost without it, I feel secure in knowing that I am being more accurate with my exercise calories.
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 and love it! Not all models calculate calories burned....so be sure to look for that!
  • capturethemoments3
    Options
    I have a polar f6 and have had zero problems to date! I don't know how much they are right now but when I got mine it was on sale at sears for $55.
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    Is the chest strap uncomfortable, hot, bulky, etc?

Oh and I should I g looking for one at big box stores, or sports stores in general or actual running stores?
  • angelae39
    angelae39 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and it is waterproof. It was about $100, but worth. One thing I noticed about the cheaper ones at WalMart is that you have to stop moving and put your fingers on the watch. This is not very convenient if you are running or doing aerobics. If you plan on working out regularly, I would invest a little extra and get a Polar.
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    can a HRM just be worn all day with no "exercize" being done and tell you how many calories you burned that day? or do you have to get into your actual zones for it to record anything?
  • robin52077
    Options
    I got mine at Foot Locker, but I didn't research, and later found out that Amazon is cheaper.
    The chest strap is very comfortable, it hides under your sports bra and you don't even know it's there. I sometimes have it on for an hour after exercise and forget it's there!
  • robin52077
    Options
    It's not "supposed" to be worn all day, because it is only INTENDED to calculate calories DURING exercise, but I wore it all day once just to see, and it gave me a total burn for the day VERY close to what MFP gives me for maintainence calories.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have a question about the HRM watches with the chest strap...For the people that have one...what is it calculating for say 30 minutes of working out for you? My sister bought a timex one and it said that she burned 584 calories for 35 minutes of doing the elliptical. That is absolutely not right, so she sent it back.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I have a polar (F6) with the waist band, it is nothing more than bra strap there is a little device in the center but i can never feel it and it doesn't even show through my work out cloths let alone real cloths. It is a lot more accurate than just the watches. I ABSOLUTELY love it, it was about 100 dollars (with a 1 year extended warranty so 2 years total). It was a breeze to set up and use, it saves all of my work outs so if I'm to tired to log it right away no biggie,
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    oh okay.....is the chest strap water proof? I would sometimes need to wear it during a 8 hour walk.....like zoo all day or something since I'm not sure my pedometer is 100% accurate. Or if I play badminton with the kids aka bending over 1 billion times to pick up the birdie I'd like to be able to record that as well.

I just phoned a local place about HRM and he told me waterproof ones for swimming are hundreds of $$???
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    Options
    I have a question about the HRM watches with the chest strap...For the people that have one...what is it calculating for say 30 minutes of working out for you? My sister bought a timex one and it said that she burned 584 calories for 35 minutes of doing the elliptical. That is absolutely not right, so she sent it back.

It is based on your heart rate, so who ever does 35 min on the elliptical but is going 2mph then calories are low, you do 35 min and doing more like 6mph then heart rates gonna be higher there for more cals. It is very possible the one she had was deffictive, i've been doing work outs all week with my polar and the other day it calculated after 1 hr on the treadmil 871 cals, i pushed myself harder today after a "bad" day yesterday and it got 1021
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    Options
    oh okay.....is the chest strap water proof? I would sometimes need to wear it during a 8 hour walk.....like zoo all day or something since I'm not sure my pedometer is 100% accurate. Or if I play badminton with the kids aka bending over 1 billion times to pick up the birdie I'd like to be able to record that as well.

I just phoned a local place about HRM and he told me waterproof ones for swimming are hundreds of $$???

i dont' think there water proof, i.e. go swimming in them, but i sweat a mess load at the gym and its fine, it also tells you to put the straps in water to clean it, the heart monitor itself is in a small plastic casing so i would think as long as your aren't submersed in water it should be fine, but check on the one you are buying it may be different depending on the brand.