Scared to lose progress

I'm happy with my weight of 103.2 at 5ft 3 and definitely don't want to lose any more. I'm afraid if I up my calories from 1200 to what I'll need to maintain, I'll start overeating. It's like I don't trust myself not to overeat if I allow myself more food. Is this a normal fear?

Replies

• RogueRunner_1
    RogueRunner_1 Posts: 32 Member
    Well, then change your goal to "maintenance".
    I don't see how that helps, I can be given a specific calorie amount for maintenance but the issue is it's tempting to go back to old habits of over eating
  • RogueRunner_1
    I have a hard time with finding a middle ground, either I'm eating lower calories to lose weight or over eating. Maybe that's just me
  • RogueRunner_1
    It's a normal fear in the sense of "common", but if it's more than a slight uneasyness, it's not normal in the sense of "healthy".
    If you allow yourself enough food, quantity and quality - and for real - you won't tend to overeat.
    You're slightly underweight, and I would guess you must have made yourself some quite restrictive eating rules to get to your current weight. Now you have to stop that. Your goal now is to reach normal weight, and stay there. You can do it. You have to give yourself that trust. You earn trust by showing yourself that you can be trusted. Time and experience and being kind to yourself, will build your confidence.
    That's helpful, thank you (:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Agreed, you need a maintenance range not just 1 weight to account for fluctuations
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I have a hard time with finding a middle ground, either I'm eating lower calories to lose weight or over eating. Maybe that's just me

Maybe you are reacting to normal daily/weekly/monthly fluctuations?
    You need to only intervene if the longer term trend shifts. That takes time and patience to learn what range of fluctuations is your personal "normal" and how you react to factors such as types of food, exercise, hydration levels etc. etc.
    Maybe a weight trending app might help?

Give yourself time to get used to the new you and the new goal of maintaining. Remember how the first day in a new job is scary and how uncertain you feel? And yet after a while it becomes normal.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    I'm happy with my weight of 103.2 at 5ft 3 and definitely don't want to lose any more. I'm afraid if I up my calories from 1200 to what I'll need to maintain, I'll start overeating. It's like I don't trust myself not to overeat if I allow myself more food. Is this a normal fear?

Yeah, this is pretty normal and understandable for people who've lost some weight. Hey after all, all we've heard forever is that it's really easy to put the weight back on after you've lost it. Well, not so fast. If you've learned to lose weight and eat in a small deficit and track food and all the things to get where you are, you can absolutely control this and you need to give it a try.

It's almost the same as when we first started tracking food and getting in a calorie deficit, I for one, did not think I could do it. Then, wow, I could actually accomplish this, it takes a leap of faith. It also takes time. You will have trouble putting on a tonne of weight so don't worry about ballooning up once you have a few more calories, you are conscious of it, you know what you're doing.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited August 2017
    Two observations that might be helpful to you:

1) Having a weight that's so precise to 1/10th of a pound is going to set you up for a lot of stress in so many ways. Work on this. Maybe that was just your weight at your last weigh in and you already get this, I don't know. But it's a red flag.

2) One of the reasons it's highly recommended to slow down your rate of weight loss and thus lower your calorie deficit is to help you learn how to eat at maintenance a little bit at a time. If you didn't do that consider raising your calories a small amount at a time. Maybe 50-100 calories at a time until you feel confident you can be consistent at that particular calorie level. Keep doing that until you reach your maintenance calories. This will also give you time to build your confidence in your ability to maintain.

Think of it this way, you know how to eat at a consistent calorie level already so you're 90% there. You just need to get the hang of doing it at a maintenance. Give yourself time and take it slow.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 5,071 Member
    I will admit that I too am afraid of failing maintenance. Thank you OP for starting this topic. To that end I have started using a TDEE tracker which over time provides a customized TDEE for individuals. I have about 7 pounds left to go to hit maintenance and plan on just pretending it is a continuation of deficit by slowly adding 100 cals for a few weeks at a time. I am also hopeful that long term I will be able to actually improve my TDEE since I will no longer be yo yo ing around.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 508 Member
    Don't do a thing. Keep your calories the same and if you settle at that weight then that's the # of calories you can eat. If you keep losing, then add 50 - 100 cals/day and see what happens. For me this was a learning and balancing exercise.
  • GettingFitSlim
    GettingFitSlim Posts: 42 Member
    im right there with you! i had a baby 3 months ago and just lost all my pregnancy weight and finally happy with how my body looks again! thinking of switching to maintenance but so scared im gonna eat more and gain it all back
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    im right there with you! i had a baby 3 months ago and just lost all my pregnancy weight and finally happy with how my body looks again! thinking of switching to maintenance but so scared im gonna eat more and gain it all back

Eating an appropriate amount more will not make you gain back your pregnancy weight. If you eat too much more, you will. You won't gain it back overnight. Maintenance requires trial and error. If you see that you are slowly gaining over a period of 2+ months, cut back 200 cals per day and get back on track.