Anti-depressants & weight gain

Options
Anyone here have any experience with being on Paxil (paroxetine) and weight gain from it? It has contributed to my weight gain over the last 7 years & is definitely being a roadblock to my weight loss. I'm considering going off of it, with my dr's input of course. Thoughts?

Replies

• sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It increases your appetite not your weight...that increase from eating too much and not moving enough.
  • Malethyst
    Malethyst Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For me it's better to work harder to manage my weight and be able to live my life. If your weight is at a point that it's a big risk to your health, your doctor may choose to take the risk of switching meds. I'm on four medications that cause weight gain but I just put in the extra effort because it's worth it to me and it's hard to find medications that work. I haven't been on Paxil, but my grandfather was. He was a little overweight but he ate out frequently.
  • PhoenixWithoutAshes1
    Options
    sosteach wrote: »
    It increases your appetite not your weight...that increase from eating too much and not moving enough.

I may have been looking at this the wrong way! Thanks!
  • PhoenixWithoutAshes1
    Options
    Malethyst wrote: »
    For me it's better to work harder to manage my weight and be able to live my life. If your weight is at a point that it's a big risk to your health, your doctor may choose to take the risk of switching meds. I'm on four medications that cause weight gain but I just put in the extra effort because it's worth it to me and it's hard to find medications that work. I haven't been on Paxil, but my grandfather was. He was a little overweight but he ate out frequently.

Excellent points! Thank you!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I've heard wellbutrin can let you lose weight. Maybe ask your doctor about switching to something else instead of just quitting? In case you still need that medication.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin works well for me with no increase in appetite or weight.
  • camiyo
    camiyo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been on paxil for 3 months and gained 20 lbs!!! It's the devil. I can't go off it or I panic, but it makes losing weight very difficult.
  • rschm271
    rschm271 Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    Paxil gave me many bad side effects and I was switched to Wellbutrin. I am much happier now except for the weight I gained while I was on it. Luckily I was only on it for about a year, but I am having a tough time getting rid of the excess weight. Hopefully MFP and a nutritionist can get me headed down the right path! Being on the right medicine is key to wanting to manage your life better. Good luck. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I've heard wellbutrin can let you lose weight. Maybe ask your doctor about switching to something else instead of just quitting? In case you still need that medication.

Mental wellness should always come first. It is ill advised to change from a psych med that is working to a different one just because some people (emphasis on the 'some') may experience a decrease in their weight while on Wellbutrin. The drug, in and of itself, does not cause weight loss. However, in some people, a decrease in appetite has been noted which may lead to eating less.

On a personal note, when I took Wellbutrin, it made me so nauseous, dizzy and 'zippy' that I couldn't eat to save my life.

Couldn't get out of bed, either. :(
  • rschm271
    rschm271 Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    1musicgrl wrote: »
    I agree that it can be done even on medications with a side effect of weight gain. Like was said above, it increases your appetite, but you still have control over the food you put in your mouth and how much you work out. It can be hard as hell! Trust me, I know. I'm on three psychiatric meds plus have a medical condition that makes it hard to lose. But I don't use that as excuses. I've fought so hard these last two years to get this weight off. I didn't lose it fast and I wanted to give up many times. But I pushed through it and now have lost 67 lbs and 12 dress sizes. It's hard as hell for me and a constant fight. But it can be done! Power to you!! You got this!!

This may seem pedantic, but I think it's important to note that these meds do not directly cause weight gain. It's not like someone will gain weight just by taking them. In order to gain the weight, they have to start eating in a caloric excess which, as you noted, is something that *is* within their control. Yes, the drugs may increase appetite in some people but that, in and of itself, doesn't make them gain weight. ;)

I just wanted to make that point a bit clearer because without putting the fine point on it it's too easy for people to think they are a helpless victim when they're not. :)

Well said! :*clapping
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am on Prozac and abilify and have gained 20lbs. It's been slow-going, to say the least, to lose anything, even at 1200 calories. I'm not entirely sure that the mechanism of weight gain from these meds is only from overeating.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    1musicgrl wrote: »
    I agree that it can be done even on medications with a side effect of weight gain. Like was said above, it increases your appetite, but you still have control over the food you put in your mouth and how much you work out. It can be hard as hell! Trust me, I know. I'm on three psychiatric meds plus have a medical condition that makes it hard to lose. But I don't use that as excuses. I've fought so hard these last two years to get this weight off. I didn't lose it fast and I wanted to give up many times. But I pushed through it and now have lost 67 lbs and 12 dress sizes. It's hard as hell for me and a constant fight. But it can be done! Power to you!! You got this!!

This may seem pedantic, but I think it's important to note that these meds do not directly cause weight gain. It's not like someone will gain weight just by taking them. In order to gain the weight, they have to start eating in a caloric excess which, as you noted, is something that *is* within their control. Yes, the drugs may increase appetite in some people but that, in and of itself, doesn't make them gain weight. ;)

I just wanted to make that point a bit clearer because without putting the fine point on it it's too easy for people to think they are a helpless victim when they're not. :)

Well thank God I can finally stop thinking of myself as a helpless victim.

Knowledge is power. :)
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i was on 400 mg of seroquel (which i know is not paxil, but still a med) and i gained so much weight, even with exercise and eating at my calorie goal, i even weighed everything that went into my mouth. everyone said meds won't cause you to gain weight, but they did. i am now on a much lower dose and i am losing. talk to your dr about switching your med, or lowering your dose (don't do this w/o dr help) and maybe that will help. being on meds is tough, but you need to be mentally healthy, so sometimes we have to give a little in another area, and sometimes that's weight. :neutral: