What motivates me !!!

Options
Some say you should not weigh yourself everyday because of different things. Well I don't agree as long as you realize your weight may go up a few lbs and down a few on any given day.
I started Jan 1,2017 to lose weight. I get on the scales every morning and check my weight , sometimes I am thinking I should have lost another pound but instead I gained 2 but in the next few days I noticed I lost the 2 plus the 1 I thought I lost earlier. As I say this has worked for me.

I weighed 192 Jan 1st and after 31 weeks , odd as it sounds I have lost 31 lbs and now weigh 161

I am 5ft 6in ,diabetic and injected 60 units of insulin per day plus oral meds also for diabetes.
I also took blood pressure meds.

At the first of May I stopped taking Insulin shots and control with oral meds only and have stopped taking blood pressure meds and have great readings everyday.

I took insulin shots for 14years so being off shots motivates me.

I was addicted to diet mountain dew / diet coke which I hear people say make you hungry.
This year I have not had any type of soda although I did have a few beers and a few glasses of wine / moderation.
I eat a lot of the foods that I like but not as often. Maybe eat healthy all week and get some pizza or fast food on weekends but now I just try to eat healthy and watch that scale everyday :)

1 week 1 pound I am happy with that :)

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss and more importantly the improvement of your health! That's great!

I agree with weighing every day as long as you can accept there will be fluctuations and do not give the number on the scale power over your brain. I weigh just about every day and know that my weight fluctuates quite a bit throughout the day, so it's just another tool for me. Taking measurements and paying attention to how my clothes fit are just as, if not more important than the scale.

Diet soda is a personal thing. I drink a can of either diet Mtn. Dew or diet Dr. Pepper daily and they don't make me hungry.

But, as you said, moderation is the key and finding what works for YOU. Thanks for sharing and keep it up!
  • timibotkin
    timibotkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have a huge addiction to diet sodas... mainly Coke and mt dew! I've decreased the amount I consume, but I still can't kick the habit! Congrats on all you have achieved!
  • Cindyt1987
    Cindyt1987 Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! Nice work!

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum as I only weigh myself once a month, at the end of the month. I feel/felt I would get too discouraged seeing a fluctuating number and also worried I'd get too obsessed, so I decided once a month should overall show me a consistent drop in the numbers. and so far that has worked great! :smile: its different for everyone and people just have to find what works for them.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Every one of us who have gotten off medications by losing weight, reversed T2D by losing weight, Cured IBD by changing our way of eating, cured cancer by changing our way of eating (I don't think there's a lot of those), but anyway every one of us in those groups, should collaborate with our doctors to teach their less well-informed other patients that this is real and possible. We'd cure modern social, political, economic, and trans-national ills in a year.
  • dennisroc
    dennisroc Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think once I decided to stop diet drinks , that was a game changer for me to give up other things. I never drank much water I just drank diet soda , black coffee.
    I have found out that I like drinking water and after you get used to it I don't even think about soda and before I seen a coworker and he just drank water and I thought how boring lol I needed that thirst quenching diet mt dew haha
    Now I never even think of it and I don't miss it at all. I think all the stuff about Aspertame ( artificial sweetener ) might be true. I just feel better !
    Come on give it a try :)
  • heloisaml
    heloisaml Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is great! Congratulations! I am T1D So getting off insulin is nearly impossible! I am so happy you can control it without the insulin now! May I ask what your goal is for daily calorie Intake!?
  • dennisroc
    dennisroc Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    heloisaml wrote: »
    That is great! Congratulations! I am T1D So getting off insulin is nearly impossible! I am so happy you can control it without the insulin now! May I ask what your goal is for daily calorie Intake!?

I watch calories on things that I eat and try to go low cal but honestly I could not tell you how many calories a day I eat. I think some days good and some not so good. I eat a lot of the food that I ate before but smaller portions and I don't use salt. I have bread maybe once a week or 2 weeks. I will have a hamburger with mustard , pickle and onion and no bun and love it.
    I buy sugar free pudding 60 cal and sugar free jello 10 calories and that takes care of my sweet cravings.

I love chips but stopped eating them pretty much. I have had a few but not many this whole year.

My wife srambles 2 egg whites and chops up some green pepper and olives and chops up some sliced turkey and fries it all up and taste great. Not sure about the cals but seems to be working for me.