Toes going numb again... advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »
    Does anyone have recommendations on thin running socks that don't squeeze midfoot? That is where the swelling starts right before I get numbness, maybe it's a contributing factor, but looking I see most socks are that style online, kind of lost? Lol
    Does anyone have recommendations on thin running socks that don't squeeze midfoot? That is where the swelling starts right before I get numbness, maybe it's a contributing factor, but looking I see most socks are that style online, kind of lost? Lol

Unless you have really small feet: men's socks. They'll be a bit roomier and not as constricting around the arch.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My toes go numb in Brooks shoes (and a couple other brands, but I believe you're in Brooks), but not most other brands (even though they are all "good" for the way I run). Some shoes just don't fit my exact stride all the way through I guess. I would try different shoes.

I was in brooks and bought new balance, a wide fit and 1/2 size larger

Have you actually been fitted at a store by a running expert? Have you been to a podiatrist?

Temporary numbness in the toes is from a nerve being pinched. You need to find out which one is getting pinched so you can know how to avoid it. It could be in your arch, it could be in your heel, it could be in your ankle.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My toes go numb in Brooks shoes (and a couple other brands, but I believe you're in Brooks), but not most other brands (even though they are all "good" for the way I run). Some shoes just don't fit my exact stride all the way through I guess. I would try different shoes.

I was in brooks and bought new balance, a wide fit and 1/2 size larger

Have you actually been fitted at a store by a running expert? Have you been to a podiatrist?

Temporary numbness in the toes is from a nerve being pinched. You need to find out which one is getting pinched so you can know how to avoid it. It could be in your arch, it could be in your heel, it could be in your ankle.

Yep I've been to the runners shoe store twice, and a sports physical therapist. It starts in one foot, but later in the day I'll feel a bit of tingling in toes in both me feet.. makes me feel like it's something in my back because in the end both feet are affected, sometimes one more than the other
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    As a former road runner turned trail runner, my advice is try the trail. Much less pounding. You avoid the nastuy ticks by staying on main trails and not going off in to the brush. Same issue out here as well as poison oak.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    keithwp99 wrote: »
    As a former road runner turned trail runner, my advice is try the trail. Much less pounding. You avoid the nastuy ticks by staying on main trails and not going off in to the brush. Same issue out here as well as poison oak.

I just spray my shoes and socks with Deep Woods Off. Knees down if I think I will be in taller grass.