Magnesium Oxide. What is it used for?

Options
Magnesium Citrate is better for sleep than oxide. Citrate is also better for constipation. Then, why do stores even sell Magnesium Oxide?
Oxide can even causes distress if taken on an empty stomach. And reviews say it is very poorly absorbed and that citrate should be taken for bone health instead.
I have to keep costs down, and I am aware that there are better forms than citrate.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What are you taking it for? Usually keeping costs down means not buying unnecessary things. If you are having trouble sleeping then maybe you just need to work on sleep patterns and behaviors. If you have trouble pooping then maybe you need to adjust your macros and fiber or if it's really bad see a doctor to avoid long term medical complications.

I just fail to see how spending money on Magnesium Citrate would be a necessary expense.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    For sleep. I'm a senior. I will use citrate upping from just 200mg a night to 300mg a night. Magnesium really works for me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Magnesium Citrate is better for sleep than oxide. Citrate is also better for constipation. Then, why do stores even sell Magnesium Oxide?
    Oxide can even causes distress if taken on an empty stomach. And reviews say it is very poorly absorbed and that citrate should be taken for bone health instead.
    I have to keep costs down, and I am aware that there are better forms than citrate.

Magnesium Oxide is cheaper to produce (and sells for less at the store) and the supplement companies are betting on the ignorance of the masses to purchase the cheapest supplement that they (the masses) can buy. Since it is poorly absorbed, it requires the consumption of more of the product for it to be effective thereby cancelling out any cost benefit that is perceived by the consumer.

^^This. For those of us who need to supplement Mg, it is just better to take a form we can absorb even though it costs more.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    For sleep. I'm a senior. I will use citrate upping from just 200mg a night to 300mg a night. Magnesium really works for me.

Beyond supplementation what else have you tried?

Also, GABA is cheaper and works with a smaller dose. Have you ever looked into it?