Hormones?

Options
This is probably geared toward the female crowd (Over 45?)- As you move along in your fitness journey, and in age (sadly!), have any of you benefited or even utilized hormone replacement therapy? I'm not peri-menopausal yet, but I feel like lately as I scrutinize my body and eating habits more, my moods vary from moderately pleased- to completely suicidal. They aren't even happy/sad extremes, and I wonder if hormones would work better than some other pharmaceutical. Or maybe it's not that at all, but a response to something else?

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    When you visit your doctor, also ask him/her to test your vitD levels that can affect mood. Do you take a daily multivitamin? Folate and B vitamins can also affect mood. Are you getting enough protein since very low levels can also cause mood problems.
  • daynasrose
    daynasrose Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with hormones since my last pregnancy (at 37) and cannot be on BP because it gives me migraines. Since turning 40 I've run into hormonal acne and had issues with my cycle (heavier periods, cramping, missed periods). I tried seed cycling and it has made a huge difference. I also take Vitex-Chasteberry twice a day. Personally, I would stay away from artificial hormones (BP and hormone replacement). My mom is in her 60s and on hormone replacement therapy right now. She goes into crying fits like she is pregnant and she hasn't had a period for a decade!

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    For years, HRT stabilized my mood. I ran into trouble only when I forgot to take my pills. For the last year or so (I'm 56) my moods seem to be stable even when I've forgotten to take them, so I'm considering stopping them soon. I procrastinate because of other benefits.
  • MamaCassK
    MamaCassK Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good info!! I clearly don't get enough protein! I am way under actually but I take a ton of vitamins!