Camping Food Ideas?

Options
13»

Replies

• Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    We do what others are calling "hobo meals" but we call them "foil packs". The last time we went we used a foil pan instead of just foil because the foil will tear and drip out all the juice. I put in beef stew meat, whole sausage links, quartered red potatoes, carrots (cut small so they cook through), onions, A LOT of worchestershire sauce, and any other preferred seasoning. A large one takes an hour or more to cook. We make it before we leave the house and keep in the cooler. Make the fire and plop it directly on top of the coals. It makes its own gravy and turns out like a stew. It's amazing.

We also make turkey burgers and grilled chicken. We take a lot of fruit like bananas, peaches, apples, cherries, anything else in season to snack on, and we don't take any chips or cookies. I always get tempted to grab for the snacks when I get bored so the only option is fruit. I love camping!
  • Danielle0227
    Danielle0227 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I find that any prep you can do ahead of time really helps. Even the kids don't mind a weekend full of healthy food if it's pre-packaged for them already. I measure out baggies of fruits, veggies, trail mix, pretzels, and baked chips for a treat. By sticking to the serving size you can still track your caloric intake and not feel so bad about it.

As for main dishes, I like to marinate bite size pieces of boneless skinless chicken breast in light Italian dressing. Package it in a heavy duty freezer zip lock bag and you're good to go. We also cook up turkey dogs and lean burger. As long as you watch your portion of the meat and have the prepackaged sides to go with it, you won't have to feel bad about splurging.

Other than the S'mores of course. No matter how hard I try I can't pass those up ... :-)
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Breakfast burritos, sausage, bacon, scrabbled eggs, shredded cheese, salsa. Let every one make there own just cook the meat and eggs.
    A cast iron ducth oven is nice and you can cook pizza, biscutts, and any reheatable frozen stuff, in large ones. Each new peace of charchol is valued at 40 degrees; need 400 degrees put 10 on the lid and 10 under your dutch oven. You can also flip the lid over on charchol or a stove and use it for pan cakes.
    Car camping is nice; you can bring lawn chairs, tables, tikki torches, etc. have fun :smile:
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Strap your bike to the car and use it when you get there, and eat whatever you want.
  • misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    We are frequent campers and I need new food ideas!!

I've been making egg/cheese/ham bagels for camping breakfasts lately. Nice protein/carb mix to start the day right.

We usually do deli meat sandwiches, fruit, cottage cheese, chips/pretzels for lunch, and hot dogs/brats/burgers over the fire for dinner. Lately I've been buying the chicken sausages for me, to help cut down on the dinner calories (that I later drink in the form of alcohol, whoops!)

The last camping trip we brought the following snacks: trail mix, granola bars, fruit bars, fresh fruit (grapes, strawberries, and raspberries), fruit cups (applesauce and pears), string cheese, yogurt, and goldfish crackers.

I've found we are doing so much moving, walking, hiking, bike riding, and swimming, that I have large calorie burns that makes up for some of the less healthy meals.
  • kellywa1179
    kellywa1179 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    for snacks I bring dates and figs, apples, grapes, dried apricots and some nuts and trail mixes (for hiking energy) Bagels work well with natural PB if you will be hiking, you'll need the energy. I make egg beaters and grilled ham or chicken sausage. If its chilly, oatmeal. You can even make whole wheat pastas, and grill chicken and fish. You can do veggies in foil or a grilling basket. Bring bagged salads, vinegar and oil coleslaws or bean salads as sides. Leave the chips at home. : )