Understanding losing, cutting, bulking, and muscles

Options
Just trying to get a handle on all the info I'm getting from these forums.

44 y/o female
SW 205 (06/05/17)
CW 185
GW south of 170

So right now I'm sedentary set to lose 1 pound a week
I'll be able to join a gym next month and plan on starting Strong Lifts.
So right now I'll be cutting calories while lifting to preserve muscles while I lose fat.

When I get to a good weight and start eating maintenance calories, is that when the lifting in the gym is going to give me more defined muscles? I don't think I need to be super cut - I'm not looking to compete or anything - just want more definition and to be stronger (ie: be able to do a pull up!) When people talk about not losing weight anymore but losing inches, does this happen more at this stage when you're eating maintenance and lifting, so you're building muscle?

And when does cutting/bulking come in? I think I'm understanding that if you get to your goal weight/body fat, and you don't have the muscle definition/strength you want, you bulk to add mass, while lifting heavy, and then cut to reveal the muscle? Am I getting this right?

Do you need to bulk/cut in order to get muscle definition? Or is it a process to get even bigger/stronger than before?

Thanks for any insight. There's a lot of info to take in here and sometimes I get a bit lost in it all!

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    yes - you have the correct idea -lift the weights and at some point, as you loose the fat , you will start to see some muscle definition - maybe in the arm, maybe the quads. stick with your plan -eat at maintenance, get plenty of protein and lift regularly. Eastcoast Jim
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are on the right track, but something to keep in mind. A program like strong lifts is designed to get you stronger. This doesn't necessarily mean it'll look nice or that it will make your muscles bigger. Now, yes, obviously when you can lift more weight, muscles are bigger, but there are two kinds of things that happen. You can get strong by lifting heavy weights a few times or you can get bigger muscles by lifting medium weights lots of times. Look up what bodybuilders look like vs powerlifters. So basically I just wanted you to understand that Strong Lifts is a great program for getting you stronger, but you won't necessarily see lots of muscle bulging out everywhere.

Recomping is like an honest polititian, you've heard of them, but they're pretty rare. You are better off to cut and bulk, and it really is very simple. Eat at a deficit to cut and do not expect your lifting to progress (but still do it), eat at a surplus to gain muscle (and fat) while lifting. The reason this works well is that when you are cutting, most of what comes off is fat as long as you are lifting and are getting plenty of protein you'll keep the muscle you have. Then once you bulk up you'll gain muscle and fat, but then you'll lose the fat next time you cut.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    Looks like you are on the right track, but something to keep in mind. A program like strong lifts is designed to get you stronger. This doesn't necessarily mean it'll look nice or that it will make your muscles bigger. Now, yes, obviously when you can lift more weight, muscles are bigger, but there are two kinds of things that happen. You can get strong by lifting heavy weights a few times or you can get bigger muscles by lifting medium weights lots of times. Look up what bodybuilders look like vs powerlifters. So basically I just wanted you to understand that Strong Lifts is a great program for getting you stronger, but you won't necessarily see lots of muscle bulging out everywhere.

Recomping is like an honest polititian, you've heard of them, but they're pretty rare. You are better off to cut and bulk, and it really is very simple. Eat at a deficit to cut and do not expect your lifting to progress (but still do it), eat at a surplus to gain muscle (and fat) while lifting. The reason this works well is that when you are cutting, most of what comes off is fat as long as you are lifting and are getting plenty of protein you'll keep the muscle you have. Then once you bulk up you'll gain muscle and fat, but then you'll lose the fat next time you cut.

^ This is incorrect. Muscle size due to hypertrophy training vs true strength training will not differ much, if any. Strength training isn't just 1RM for 1 or 2 sets. Strength doesn't solely depend on muscle size (however, larger muscles will have the potential to move more weight). CNS adaptation, efficiency in movement and leverage, rest and recovery all play a significant role in strength development. Furthermore, strength development will always outpace muscle growth. As OP is just starting out, she will gain little to no muscle in her first few weeks of lifting, however, OP will experience strength gains - due to the non muscle factors mentioned.

Your example of body builders vs powerlifters isn't accurate. Both may have comparable muscle size, but body building is focused more on aesthetics - therefore concerned with lower bf %. Powerlifters aren't concerned with bf %. A bb muscle will "bulge" or look bigger because less overall mass, not because it is bigger. If a bb and powerlifter have the same muscle mass, a powerlifter will lift heavier weights than a bb due to technique, training efficiency and overall mass.

Also, OP isn't "better off" bulking and cutting. The mistake many people make is an aggressive bulk, which then requires a more aggressive cut, sacrificing more muscle then necessary.

OP - focus on strength gains. Muscle growth will follow.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Great research review/discussion of the topic by Greg Nuckols: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/

And the accompanying chart from the article:
    mz1riuk2n1wo.jpg
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Great research review/discussion of the topic by Greg Nuckols: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/

And the accompanying chart from the article:
    mz1riuk2n1wo.jpg

Great article, and good advice at the end to include lots of different rep ranges. Thumbs up.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

^ This is incorrect. Muscle size due to hypertrophy training vs true strength training will not differ much, if any. Strength training isn't just 1RM for 1 or 2 sets. Strength doesn't solely depend on muscle size (however, larger muscles will have the potential to move more weight). CNS adaptation, efficiency in movement and leverage, rest and recovery all play a significant role in strength development. Furthermore, strength development will always outpace muscle growth. As OP is just starting out, she will gain little to no muscle in her first few weeks of lifting, however, OP will experience strength gains - due to the non muscle factors mentioned.

Your example of body builders vs powerlifters isn't accurate. Both may have comparable muscle size, but body building is focused more on aesthetics - therefore concerned with lower bf %. Powerlifters aren't concerned with bf %. A bb muscle will "bulge" or look bigger because less overall mass, not because it is bigger. If a bb and powerlifter have the same muscle mass, a powerlifter will lift heavier weights than a bb due to technique, training efficiency and overall mass.

Also, OP isn't "better off" bulking and cutting. The mistake many people make is an aggressive bulk, which then requires a more aggressive cut, sacrificing more muscle then necessary.

OP - focus on strength gains. Muscle growth will follow.

QFT!