Not weighing myself during weight loss

Options
I have over 100+ pounds to lose. I've tried dieting and losing weight for half my life. I was always an obsessive scale watcher. Had a huge wake up call a few days ago. Serious life style change is the only option left for me. So far since I've started, I walk only 30 mins a day, (so over weight I can't do to much right away) and eating 1500 calories a day. I eat mainly protein and veggies with of course 1-2 servings of fruit a day. Moderate carbs. I plan on not weighing myself the entire time while trying to lose weight. Do you think this method is effective? Or should I weigh myself through out this entire journey?

Replies

• JasmineDiver22
    JasmineDiver22 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself in a month. I probably gained like 10-15 pounds. I defintly assumed the worst and just put my weight @ 300. But I'm not sure. I'm scared to weigh myself because if I do, it'll mess with me and discourage me. I'm 23 years old, 5'2 and let's assume I'm 300 pounds.
  • JasmineDiver22
    Options
    Oh, and I track everything I eat on here, I also have a food scale, and a Fitbit, and aria scale. So I'm good as far as all that goes. My activity level, I'm not sure. I walk just 30 mins 3 times a week. Since I'm so over weight i don't want to burn myself out so fast doing to much that my body can't handle right now. Hope this is enough info.
  • prima_donut
    prima_donut Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been quite successful not weighing myself for the first month or two but then I find I get curious and then I get disappointed when the number is not lower. I also find it is easier to derail when you aren't weighing...small bad choices don't seem that big of a deal at the time but they add up and it's easier to ignore then if you aren't getting scale feedback. What about just weighing once per month? Is it because you feel like you can't face it right now? What other ways are you going to measure success if you aren't using a scale? When I wasn't weighing I rewarded myself biweekly for tracking everything and staying on target and it somewhat worked for me (although not long range sustainably obviously because here I am again hahaha)
  • JasmineDiver22
    Options
    When you sign up for MyFitnessPal, it asks you what your goal weight is. I'm @ "300" now and I put my goal weight @ 200. So with my weight and activity level it put me @ 1580 cals per day if I want to lose 2 pounds per week.
  • JasmineDiver22
    Options
    Weighing myself has drove me crazy in the past and that's why I give up. I plan to go by how my clothes fit, flexibility during s e x, and how my body feels physically in general.
  • JasmineDiver22
    Options
    @jdog022 Okay. Yeah you're 100% right! That's usually what happens every time I try to diet! I been drinking lots of water so, so far I don't feel like I'm starving myself. Plus I'm not depriving myself from some carbs I love. So I think that'll help me not go crazy. BUT idk what will happen when cravings to hit me! Especially that time of the month. But I'll watch out for what you're saying. Im defintly worried about that. If I start to get that way after a week or two, then I'll add 200-300 more calories.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I agree but for someone who says she has been struggling I think eating the most they can at the start and still lose at a good clip is a recipe for long term success. My bet is she aims for 1 and loses more anyways.
  • JasmineDiver22
    Options
    @jdog022 I never thought of it that way, eating the most I can to start while help me long term. Just more veggies and fruits? I'm not sure what to eat most of to make me feel full and not feel guilty?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Protein and fats tend to be the most filling foods for a lot of people. I try to get at least 20g of protein at every meal. Helps keep me full til next meal with minimal snacking
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @jdog022 I never thought of it that way, eating the most I can to start while help me long term. Just more veggies and fruits? I'm not sure what to eat most of to make me feel full and not feel guilty?
    You can eat whatever you want as long as you stay in your calorie range. Part of the reason people binge or give up is because they restrict too much. Eat a well balanced diet but make room for the things you love too. No need to feel guilty.

As to your original question I find when I avoid the scale it allows me to stay in a sort of denial. I'm not gaining weight if the numbers aren't there in front of me right? But that's me and you've got to do you. One valid reason to maybe at least think about it is it can help you adjust your calorie count up or down depending on your rate of loss or if you have a stall.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    The scale is a tool. If you don't see it going downward, how will you measure your success? If going my the mirror and measurements works for you, go for it. But you may not see stalls, trends, etc that reflect your calorie intake and accuracy.
  • JasmineDiver22
    Options
    Maybe I'll weigh in once a month. But even then guys, it might discourage me. But you're right, I need to keep track some how. I didn't weigh myself when I started. Should I the next following day, just so I have an actual number to look @. Numbers consume me, and I literally obsess over it. I'd rather just go by how I feel and yet still track every thing I eat and my exercise. The whole point is a life style change. Anything is better than eating out 2-3 time a day, fried foods, and sweets whenever I wanted.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you don't weigh, at least do body measurement. I haven't weighed myself in a year, but I take body measurements every other week. Some kind of tracking is necessary. Both for accountability and sense of achievement!