How Many Kals to Eat

Options
Hi, I am 5'3 and weigh 15st 8lbs I have lost 2 stone since January 2017 and want to lose another 2 stone by May 18 my question is this I am on 1500 kals per day and some days I eat within that others I go over. If I wanted to lose 2lbs per weeks what kals should I be on am I eating too many or not enough. I am fairly active and do boxfit twice a week and also run once a week I have just started that so cant really include it in my exercise.
I lost 2lbs last week but some weeks I could put on weight, now I have an over active Thyroid and am on medication and also waiting to see the doctor but overall I eat fairly well. Tks

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How many calories did MFP tell you to eat? What's important is that you have a calorie deficit and stick to it.

(Water) weight fluctuates, so you can't always see weight (fat) loss from week on the scale.
  • trish2016
    trish2016 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    How many calories did MFP tell you to eat? What's important is that you have a calorie deficit and stick to it.

(Water) weight fluctuates, so you can't always see weight (fat) loss from week on the scale.

They said 1200 kals but I feel that is too little for me I tried it before and was sttarving I don't have a small frame so am not petite I can manage on 1500 but its a struggle alot of the time to shift weight. If I do my class and work really hard I can lose up to 6lbs a week.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    trish2016 wrote: »

They said 1200 kals but I feel that is too little for me I tried it before and was sttarving I don't have a small frame so am not petite I can manage on 1500 but its a struggle alot of the time to shift weight. If I do my class and work really hard I can lose up to 6lbs a week.

MFP gives you your calorie goal based on your height, weight, age and sex, but also on your activity level and desired weight loss rate. If you pick a slower rate, you can eat more.

If you feel 1200 is too little and you struggle sticking to it because you feel starving, or tired, or both, it is too little.

1500 calories is better for you. You will lose more slowly than you would if you could stick to 1200, but you can't, and the added weight loss would be muscle mass anyway, so stick to 1500. There are different kinds of struggles - one is from starving yourself, but that is eliminated by eating enough - but also the one caused by your impatience and unrealistic expectations, and you have to deal with that too: Weight can come off at no more than 1% of your total weight per week, and this is on average, over time.

Don't rely on exercise for weight loss. Most likely you will just exhaust yourself and/or be more hungry, so that you end up wiping out your calorie deficit.
  • trish2016
    trish2016 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks I am in no hurry to get it off I want it gone and to stay off long term so will stick to the 1500