Do you plan on logging forever?

Options
ze_hombre
ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
I have been in maintenance mode for a couple weeks now and have been debating with myself over whether or not I will continue logging indefinitely. I will certainly log for a few more months as I learn how to maintain and what foods work for me in which portions in maintenance (if for no other reason than to get the 365 of logging in streak), but will I be logging two, three, five, ten years from now? I have made the major lifestyle changes so I am not really worried about regressing. I know much, much more about food now than I did six months ago and I have a decent understanding of macro nutrient content in food without using MFP.

I am curious how others have approached (or plan on approaching) this?

This may also be a stupid question since the people who quit logging will presumably not be logged into read this, so if you have a friend of a friend situation and can offer some anecdotal insight I welcome it (as long as you note it accordingly, please).

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i am over 400;
    i am GOD.
  • skscroggins87
    skscroggins87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not at my goal yet, but in 2005 I lost 35 pounds by counting my calories. I kept it off for probably 3 years, but I slowly began to gain it back, and started this summer at only 10 pounds lighter than my HW. I thought I was making healthy choices, so I didn't need to log my foods, but I wasn't eating the correct portions and was taking in more calories than I needed. So long story short, this time around I feel like I've been at it long enough that I've made the lifestyle change, but I do still think I'll continue to log my calories to keep me accountable when I get to maintenance mode. Can I say I'll be doing it 10 years from now? Who knows if MFP will still be a thing then? Haha. But I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think what I'm trying to do is cultivate a new normal for me so that I can maintain a healthy weight by eating normally and doing normal activity, and I want to be able to do this without actively keeping a log of everything I eat or do.

That said, if I had to I think I could log my intake indefinitely. It hasn't been that difficult or invasive, for me. But I don't want to rely on it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I stopped counting a while back and I discovered that the amount I naturally eat when not logging is enough to maintain with minimal exercise. So if I want to see more loss I need to only exercise a little bit more.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm not at my goal yet, but in 2005 I lost 35 pounds by counting my calories. I kept it off for probably 3 years, but I slowly began to gain it back, and started this summer at only 10 pounds lighter than my HW. I thought I was making healthy choices, so I didn't need to log my foods, but I wasn't eating the correct portions and was taking in more calories than I needed. So long story short, this time around I feel like I've been at it long enough that I've made the lifestyle change, but I do still think I'll continue to log my calories to keep me accountable when I get to maintenance mode. Can I say I'll be doing it 10 years from now? Who knows if MFP will still be a thing then? Haha. But I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

This was a fear I had a few months ago so I started a pretty extensive exercise regimen with a group of people here in town who triathlons regularly. I am burning way more calories in a week than I could possibly eat. Well, not really, but its much easier to keep things in perspective and control when you are running 20-25 miles a week and biking at least 40. :)
  • rtell
    rtell Posts: 27
    Options
    I have been around for about 2 years, reached my goal weight Xmas 2011, and don't log every day, but I like to track my exercise reports and log my food if I start to put on a couple of pounds. Call me obsessive, but it seems to work for me.
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    Once I have maintained my goal weight for a while, I will probably only log when I need to get back in line or just check in to make sure I am still on track. I don't want to think about calories every day for the rest of my life.
  • chainone
    chainone Posts: 42
    Options
    Because I can't exercise (and likely will not be able to), I plan on keeping a semblance of counting for a long, long time.

If I got to a point where I was satisfied enough to go into maintenance, I'd count at maintenance for probably 6+ months. I have no will power, and while counting doesn't stop me from binging most of the time, it does make me think twice.

Once I feel "safe" enough to move past that, I will likely portion out my food according to packages, but perhaps not track the calories as vigilantly.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Between here and I use to do weight watchers I have recorded for Seven years now. Some times I would go a month without and holly smokes I gained weight because you really need to see what you put in your body. I will record for life I have lost over 40pds.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Between here and I use to do weight watchers I have recorded for Seven years now. Some times I would go a month without and holly smokes I gained weight because you really need to see what you put in your body. I will record for life I have lost over 40pds.

I stopped logging for about 3 months and gained back some. So, maybe forever.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm at maintenance and not logging. I really made a point when I was logging and counting to really learn how to eat, what to eat, portion control, etc so that I could go into maintenance knowing how to get my nutrition on and being able to listen to my body and know what I need.

I eat the same way as I did when I was losing...just more calories. Food wise though, it's pretty much the same stuff save for a few extra treats here and there. In my experience, the really crucial thing has been keeping up with my training and exercise. I think this is where many go wrong...they associate training and exercise with the desire to lose weight...so they go to maintenance and they stop exercising or become more inconsistent, etc.

When I went to maintenance I made sure I had new goals...nutrition goals and fitness goals to keep me motivated and paying attention.

Also keep in mind that you'll likely put on a few pounds upping to maintenance due to your glycogen stores being replenished. Don't worry about it or drop an extra few pounds now to compensate. Also realize that, just as your weight loss wasn't linear, nor is maintenance static. You have a floor and a ceiling and I personally fluctuate a good 3 Lbs floor to ceiling on a daily basis...it can be more if I've had a really high sodium day, intense workout, or having a little beer bloat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My plan is to log still. I've regained weight in the past and it seems like a small price to pay to keep myself accountable.
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was planning to gradually phase it out once I reached my goal weight. Hopefully, I could get along without it. If I were to notice a considerable weight gain, though (like, 10 pounds,) I think I would probably start up again. My intent is to train myself to be able to get along without it, but if logging is what's gonna keep me healthy, then so be it.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    According to findings from the National Weight Loss Registry, you have to continue to journal and exercise if you want to keep the weight off. You should not wait until you gain 10 pounds before doing something about it, but takes steps at no more than 2 pounds.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    According to findings from the National Weight Loss Registry, you have to continue to journal and exercise if you want to keep the weight off. You should not wait until you gain 10 pounds before doing something about it, but takes steps at no more than 2 pounds.

Makes total sense IMO. By the time you gained 10 lbs back, you're more likely to have changed your habits back for a while, which makes it much harder to get back in the bandwagon.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do plan on logging forever.

Though I've never been this low in my adult life (I weighed over 200 lbs in 6th grade) I have lost & regained quite a bit and what I've learned is that bad habits creep back up on you slowly and stealthily. For me, a few minutes a day logging and planning my eating gives me confidence that I'm still in control. Small price to pay.

But that's me, and how my mind works. I was obese for almost 50 years. I don't trust myself to stay slim without diligent accountability.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I have a ways to go but my plan is to log for a month or so @ maintenance and then stop logging but continue to weigh often and log it just as I do now. I plan to pick a number maybe 10 pounds over my goal and if I ever see that number then back to logging.
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If i. Want to stay fit i will log i eat healthly most of the time but portion get out of wack .it really helps to see .so yes i will log as long as i can .
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just see logging my food as part of my new lifestyle along with my exercising, making healthy and tasty dishes, and moving more. I've never been able to do so over the weekends and I probably never will, but it keeps me honest and in check. Even when I don't log my calories over the weekend because I do it every other day I know when I'm overdoing it or not making the right choices and will change my mind. I've gone from a size 16 to a size 6. I've tried to not use a food diary and that doesn't work for me.