What sports do you play to burn calories?

Options
I love to play basketball. I joined the YMCA to workout and play basketball. The best thing about playing sports and trying to lose weight is that when your having a great time you don't even focus on how much work you actually did or how exhausted you are. You just enjoy the sport and have fun! I know that playing basketball I can burn up to 800 calories without even knowing it!

So my question is what sports do you play to burn calories?

Replies

• Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Cycling specifically Audax which is endurance cycling/orienteering on roads.
  • leaellenj
    leaellenj Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm not so much an organized sports kind of person, but I enjoy meeting up with running groups or running with my husband.
    I also like to take fitness classes- spin, zumba, yoga, etc. I enjoy the socialization without being competitive.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Pick up basketball for sure, gets me dripping sweat, and it's so fun that I don't even think of it as exercise
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I don't do sports to burn calories, I do sports for stress relief, for the challenge, for the fun. Just like you said.

Calories burned is mere side effect, though for good performance the next day I obviously better pay attention or suffer the negative consequences.

Biking, running, swimming. Which is only a sport during a race, and that's even against only myself. So pitiful sport.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it qualifies as a sport...but when I go running with my brother, we take a rugby ball and pass it back and forth...esp. when we do sprints. :)
  • rhymeswithtexas
    Options
    I love playing volleyball. It's great for the core, awesome cardio, and uses every muscle. It's also tons of fun!
  • cynthiah24
    cynthiah24 Posts: 10
    Options
    Golf. You carry your clubs and walk the course for 18 holes and you can basically burn off a days worth of calories. :) And it works your mind as well as your body!
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Volleyball, golf, basketball, football, skiing, biking
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I love to play volleyball. We just picked up tennis rackets/balls and a basketball, so it looks as if I'll be taking those up too.

I also take taekwondo classes, that is a fantastic burn!

(but like someone had mentioned, I don't participate for the burn, I do it because I love both activities!!)
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I like to play tennis sometimes, and basketball too. I've put myself on the free agent list for women's 3v3 teams this fall. Hope something turns up. Oh, and I like racquetball too. And soccer. I'll do anything really.
  • ehte_h
    ehte_h Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Boxing
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    On Tuesdays I play co-ed competitive volleyball (court), from 6pm - 845pm pretty much non stop. MFP states I burn around 1200 calories! On Thursdays, I play sand co-ed volleyball non stop for about 2 1/2 hours, I'll miss this when it gets cold.

If only I could do this everyday, but my hitting and serving shoulder says 'Uhm, No!' :smile:
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I play tennis. I only play singles.
  • kitsiekitty
    kitsiekitty Posts: 166
    Options
    I don't know if any of you consider this a sport ( I definitely do, by god I feel so tired after every class), but I do dance. And its INTENSE. Four hours each time, and by the time we're done with one routine, not one of us has the energy to continue standing... but we get a one minute break and we have to get up and continue with our next routine.

Its crazy tiring... but very very fun. xD Easiest way to burn calories ever.
  • cameronwheeler
    Options
    @kitsiekitty DANCE is definiteloy a sport. Its one of the best workouts i've ever seen. A lot of people I know use dancing to burn stay in shape and get abs!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hockey, Football, Basketball, Golf.....etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,582 Member
    Options
    Curling.

And it's done a lot for my house sweeping.:laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Ringette, I'm Canadian, eh!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I run, swim, and cycle and I lift weights to help me do these things even better. This year I've primarily done running races, but next year I'm going to do some cycling events as well and culminate my racing season with a triathlon.

I do these thing because I love them...calorie burn is just a nice bonus.

I also golf...kinda sorta...if you could call it that. I'm sure many would not.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    sandy_gee burned 4,078 calories doing 455 minutes of Softball with HRM

That was my slo pitch tournament this weekend! I'm lucky I have one lined up for every weekend until the end of September.
    I play it because I LOVE the sport though, the fact that I may burn over a pound of calories a weekend is just an awesome bonus!