Pilates classes.

Options
I want to try Pilates but I see a mat class and a reformer class. Are there other kinds of classes and can someone tell me what the differences are?

Replies

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Reformer classes use a machine... google image search "pilates reformer" to see what they look like!
    I did reformer pilates for 6 years and LOVED it. (I moved away from my studio and there isn't one where I live now :'( )

Many of the moves are similar to those in a mat class (on a mat on the floor!), but because you have the reformer, you can adjust the levels of resistance to make things easier or harder. I liked having that range of options, which I think are wider than those you get in the mat class.
    I also just found it more interesting...

Reformer classes are usually more expensive, because the studio has had to buy the equipment, but the groups are usually smaller so you often get more individual attention.

It's worth taster classes of both (many studios in the UK offer the first class free, or 3 for £10 or something) to see which you prefer - not everyone likes the reformer but I thought it was amazing.
  • cougargirl1025
    cougargirl1025 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I thought it said "pirate classes". Wrong thread. Good luck to you!