Loose skin

Options
So Im saving up for a tummy tuck now (and a brazillian butt lift lol) because I thought once the skin was loose and damaged it would never snap back. I realized that this community is massive though so I wanted to ask if there was a way to tighten skin? Ive been obese/overweight most of my life and have had 3 babies so I look fine in clothes now but Im very insecure about my stomach specifically. Any tips?

Replies

• sueblue77
    sueblue77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use a loufah every day in the shower on my problem areas and then apply lotion after drying off. They say nothing helps, but I hope this will help some. I'm down 90 pounds with 35 left to go. Surgery is probably in my future as well. :(
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost the weight? I agree a good deal of loose skin is due to how long you were overweight, how many times you gained and lost and genetics but time is definitely you're friend. I had a good deal of loose skin at my one year maintenance anniversary, by year two of maintenance I had very little.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Wow that s good to know!! Im actually still in the process of losing weight. I have about 10lbs left to go. Maybe ill push back the surgery a bit and see of it helps! Its probably a long shot since my mom has a lot of excess skin and i was overweight for a long time but ill try!!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Eat foods high in antioxidants such as vitC. It can help the surgery scars recover faster.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Sometimes what people regard as loose skin actually is skin with some residual subcutaneous fat - possibly not very dense "squishy" fat - keeping it from shrinking back.

Actual loose skin is quite thin, like the skin you pinch up on a nonfatty area such as back of hand or kneecap. It makes thin wrinkles, maybe similar to a midweight fabric like corduroy or soft denim. Thicker wrinkles, like 1/2" or thicker folds, probably have some residual fat content.

IME, even at age 60, those thin wrinkles of actual skin (only) shrank back quite nicely over my first few months to a year in maintenance. The areas with still some subcutaneous fat have not, mostly.

Obviously, you can't keep losing until every shred if body fat disappears - not a healthy plan! I've seen some folks here lose more fat in maintenance via recomposition (or bulk and cut cycles) but so far I've been too lazy to try that. ;)