Protein Popcorn

Options
Geocitiesuser
Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
I'm a big fan of ICON's protein popcorn (yuuum). MyProtein recently started reselling it as well, and someone in a facebook ad posted this recipe in the comments. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like the coconut oil might do a good job of recreating that thick candy like coating of the ICON meal's version. When I try this I might try with casein powder first since I tend to like it better for its texture, not sure how it will work out.

If anyone has similar recipes they have tried and like please post :)

Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Yellow Popcorn or White Popcorn
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp Chocolate Protein Powder
- 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt

Instructions
Begin popping popcorn in a pan with lid on the stove or in an electric popper following the manufacturer’s instructions.
While popcorn pops, combine chocolate protein powder, peanut butter powder, and salt in a small bowl.
Pour the coconut oil over the popped popcorn. Immediately add the chocolate mixture and mix thoroughly to combine.

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    edited August 2017
    Options
    So, that was disappointing. Nothing like ICON popcorn. I was hoping the coconut oil would congeal and make a thick coating, unfortunately it got absorbed immediately similar to butter, and it was a challenge getting all of the powder to stick. The whole thing ended up being way more calories than it was worth. (600ish by my estimates mostly due to the oil).

The flavor was good, but that's because vanilla casein and pb2 are delicious together.

I've seen at the farmer's market a stand that sells candied popcorn. Does anyone know the base method of doing that? If I knew how to do that, I could start swapping and subbing ingredients to make it lower cal higher protein.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Candied popcorn would likely have a sugar/caramel coating which I wouldn't try doing a substitute for.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Candied popcorn would likely have a sugar/caramel coating which I wouldn't try doing a substitute for.

looks like they're using corn syrup. First two ingredients after popcorn are sugar and corn syrup. Kinda surprised considering the macros. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Darn it, I LOVE Icon Meals but a bag is close to $10 and it lasts me maybe two servings... if you try any other recipes with more success please let me know! I'll keep a lookout, too ;)