No change after 4 months of recomp - suggestions? How long does it take to see change?

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If your routine isn't giving you enough stimulus to force growth then switching from recomp to cut/bulk isn't going to change that. The cut part is only going to make it worse in the short term.

Building muscle is slow irrespective of calories unless you are a young male or on naughty drugs.
    Patience is required. Build a foundation of technique and strength then consider a change of programming if hypertrophy is really your aim.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    My personal opinion on recomp is that it should be done by people with little fat to lose AND have been training for awhile (at least a year consistently).
    If you need to gain size, then cut and bulk along with a hypertrophy program is what I usually recommend.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

My concern about cutting and bulking vs recomp is the idea that as we age it's more difficult to build muscle. I worry that I may lose muscle during cuts and just gain fat during the bulks. Do you recommend bulk/cut cycles at any age? What if I'm 80? Or is there another criteria you could suggest, like "if you can't get to the gym 3 times a week, stick with recomp".

As a 66 year old, I just don't buy that the age thing is such a big factor. From the 20s to the 40s there is some drop off due to T levels but it's not that significant. Or at least it hasn't been for me. Maybe 10-15%. From the 40s to the 60s I dont' see that much difference at all. Maybe I'm just lucky with my genes and my T levels have always remained good for my age.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If your routine isn't giving you enough stimulus to force growth then switching from recomp to cut/bulk isn't going to change that. The cut part is only going to make it worse in the short term.

Building muscle is slow irrespective of calories unless you are a young male or on naughty drugs.
    Patience is required. Build a foundation of technique and strength then consider a change of programming if hypertrophy is really your aim.

All of this all day long! ^
  • Maggieba
    Maggieba Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A few weeks back someone posted an article in this section about actual calories needed to build muscle. For women, under ideal conditions (calorie surplus, progressive heavy lifting, etc) a 1/4# muscle gain per week was cited. If I'm remembering correctly, the author proposed that while eating at maintenance and lifting, women might gain 1/8# muscle a week. Recomp is slow.