a question about calories

so since last sunday i haven't been eating that great because my diet hasn't been that balanced but my diet since friday hasn't been that bad but just not good if that makes sense.
i'm pretty sure for the most part i haven't been going over my calorie limit but i weighed myself today at like 4pm and my normal weigh in dya is a friday morning (i know i hsouldnt be weighing myself at that time but it's a bad habit and not seeing any weight loss is really upsetting bc i've only lost 3 pounds in the first week and this is my second i've basically gained 3 pounds back)

so my question is: how haven't i manages to lose weight? maybe because i've built muscle? i've only been going to the gym 3 times a week so i don't think it's that

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    edited August 2017
    It's not muscle. Weight fluctuates constantly, and you're weighing yourself with food in your system. Even if it isn't lower tomorrow morning, it's normal.

Also, "only three pounds" lost is amazing, even for being mainly water weight! You can't expect anything near that once you've been at it for a while.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    Weigh in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating or drinking anything.

Also, how are you accounting for your food? Using the food page here? Weighing your solids as much as possible?

It's common to fluctuate up to five pounds depending on stress, exercise, sleep, salt intake, menstrual cycle.

Don't stress it and I'd say weigh every day instead of once a week, then you get more data.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    1. Weight loss isn't linear.
    2. Higher sodium, new exercise routine, having your period or ovulating, and many other things can make you hold water.
    3. "I'm pretty sure I haven't been going over my calories for the most part" does not mean you were eating at a deficit. You may have been eating at a surplus.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited August 2017
    goodtroyes wrote: »
    so since last sunday i haven't been eating that great because my diet hasn't been that balanced but my diet since friday hasn't been that bad but just not good if that makes sense.
    i'm pretty sure for the most part i haven't been going over my calorie limit but i weighed myself today at like 4pm and my normal weigh in dya is a friday morning (i know i hsouldnt be weighing myself at that time but it's a bad habit and not seeing any weight loss is really upsetting bc i've only lost 3 pounds in the first week and this is my second i've basically gained 3 pounds back)

so my question is: how haven't i manages to lose weight? maybe because i've built muscle? i've only been going to the gym 3 times a week so i don't think it's that

1. you will never know unless you weigh (in grams) everything you eat and drink and log those entries correctly. buy a kitchen digital scale. most likely you are eating at maintenance.
    2. 2 weeks is a very short time to gauge success.
    3. you did not add muscle weight
    4. all these fluctuations are water fluctuations.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    As a woman you are not gaining 3lbs of muscle in a week.

It's normal to gain water weight over the course of a day. I gain five to seven pounds every day and lose it over the night. Most likely this is the reason you seem to be up three pounds. Weigh yourself in the morning and see.

There are plenty of reasons to gain weight temporarily, including needing to use the bathroom, that time of the month, and eating a lot of sodium (which may be part of your situation since you mentioned not eating that well, so you might have been eating foods with more sodium than usual.)

If you feel confident you haven't gone over your calories, don't worry about it, it's water weight. Log your foods more accurately going forward and trust the process!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    It's only been a week - weight loss isn't linear and it may take some time to see the trend develop. I weighed 185 two weeks ago, 185.5 yesterday, then boom, today it's 183.5. You need to be patient! Also, you definitely aren't building muscle that fast, and it's not about balance either - calories in/calories out are the only thing that matter for weight loss. But again, it's really too early to worry about it. You probably lost some water weight last week and shouldn't expect three pounds a week, but if you really are eating at a deficit, you will start to see the trend go down. Stick to the once a week weigh-in if the numbers are stressing you out. Good luck!
  • goodtroyes
    goodtroyes Posts: 11 Member
    misnomer1 wrote: »

1. you will never now unless you weigh (in grams) everything you eat and drink and log those entries correctly. buy a kitchen digital scale

how do i lessen water weight? i've been drinking a lot of water because i've heard that that helps. it could be because my diet hasn't been that balanced but i don't know if that's relevant
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

1. you will never now unless you weigh (in grams) everything you eat and drink and log those entries correctly. buy a kitchen digital scale

how do i lessen water weight? i've been drinking a lot of water because i've heard that that helps. it could be because my diet hasn't been that balanced but i don't know if that's relevant

You don't need to worry about this. It's fat loss that is important, water is just a number on the scale. If you are retaining water it's often because your body needs to do that for some reason, such as repairing muscles after exercise. The water will go away in its own time.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member

You can't and you will only drive yourself bonkers if you try. Drinking water is good, a balanced diet is good, but water weight will come and go no matter what you do.