Track Weight Training

Options
patcasullo1
patcasullo1 Posts: 28 Member
edited August 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Does anyone know if this app can track calories burned weight training automatically or does it have to be manually entered? Is anyone aware of other good apps for tracking this or devices that I can wear?

Thanks

Replies

• daynasrose
    daynasrose Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting a TomTom or Garmin watch or similar. They are great for tracking all activity and then connect to almost all apps out there. My TomTom Spark 3 connects to Strava, RunKeeper and MyFitnessPal as soon as I connect it to the computer. The only issue I have with it is that it is not very good for weight training because it doesn't use a chest strap but instead tracks my pulse at the wrist. This causes my heart rate to go all over the place whenever I grip weights.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    My LG Sport Smart watch tracks weights as well and syncs to MFP via Google Fit.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Search for strength training under the cardio section to get a burn estimate.
    daynasrose wrote: »
    I suggest getting a TomTom or Garmin watch or similar. They are great for tracking all activity and then connect to almost all apps out there. My TomTom Spark 3 connects to Strava, RunKeeper and MyFitnessPal as soon as I connect it to the computer. The only issue I have with it is that it is not very good for weight training because it doesn't use a chest strap but instead tracks my pulse at the wrist. This causes my heart rate to go all over the place whenever I grip weights.

Heart rate isn't a good way to measure calories burned for lifting anyway
  • daynasrose
    Options

I don't use it to measure calories, I use it to track my heart rate. Trying to keep it from going sky-high like 180s which for me is past my max heart rate.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    daynasrose wrote: »

I don't use it to measure calories, I use it to track my heart rate. Trying to keep it from going sky-high like 180s which for me is past my max heart rate.

You can't actually exceed your maximum heartrate!
  • daynasrose
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You can't actually exceed your maximum heartrate!

Let me put it this way, I don't want to exceed 85% of my max heart rate. Not only do I feel like crap when I do, but it has made me nearly black out. Not good when lifting heavy....well not good at all.

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I don't log my weight training calories. Basically because they aren't accurate. I do the same number of total reps for my biceps/shoulders in one day as I do for my legs. Because I can not only lift more with my legs than arms, but they are longer - even with that same time duration, I use more energy working my legs. (Energy = mass * velocity^2). So I just leave that out and eat back my cardio calories burned.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I used the UA Record app. If you combine it with a heart rate monitor it works pretty good. Good functionality and it pairs perfectly with MFP