Question: does unintentional weight loss count?

Options
I would like to know what everyone else thinks. I started losing weight last year after an ovarian tumor, and about a month later, a diagnosis of diabetes. I know exactly what I weighed the first time I went to the ER because it's in my records: 272. The month between that and my surgery, my diabetes was undiagnosed and I lost weight constantly as a result, almost 25 lbs. After my surgery, I came home, went on medication and a diabetes-appropriate diet, and when I was cleared, I joined MFP and started trying to lose weight. The starting weight I entered at that time was 247. I'm now down to 181. (And off most meds, due to the benefits of weight loss on my diabetes.)

So, my question is, when people ask "How much weight have you lost?" should I include the 25 lbs I lost due to illness? It seems almost like cheating to mention it, since I wasn't trying to lose weight, but on the other hand it does reflect the total amount of weight I've lost since my highest weight. Should I add my weight in the hospital to my weight history?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I only 'count' the pounds lost since I started using MFP in 2016, but sometimes I mention the pounds lost since my "AHA" moment at midnight of Dec 31-Jan 01 Y2K.

In your case as well as mine, nobody cares how fat we used to be and most of them don't want to know what we did to lose weight unless they can buy it from Dr. Oz.

Yes to absolutely all of this, yes yes yes.

If someone asks I usually say I've lost "about 130 lb". I say that because from my a-ha moment in 2007 to when I started MFP in 2013, I lost 51 lb. And then I lost 92 lb using this site between 2013-2015. SO that's 143 lb.

I've gained back a solid 10 lb, unfortunately, but I bounce around a little bit (up or down 5 to 7 lb for two years now). So it's "about 130".

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How often do you get asked this? There is no correct answer, you can say whatever you want if nothing at all.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How often do you get asked this? There is no correct answer, you can say whatever you want if nothing at all.

This!

It's no one's business but your own.

Tell them whatever number you want.
    Tell them nothing.
    Tell them you're back within your normal BMI range.
    Tell them you've lost enough to make your Dr happy.
    Tell them you're back into a Size __ now.
    Whatever you want to say.

• YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Just answer that some weight you lost due to your health issues and some weight you lost due to changing your lifestyle and diet.

I also lost some weight because of the changes I've had in my lifestyle (less sweets and carbs, healthier food choices, I don't really count calories). And some weight I lost recently due to dental work. I had surgery on my gums and it was difficult to chew, was mostly on liquids, soups, shakes, etc. It's fine now but within 2 weeks I lost 2 kilos (5 pounds maybe?). After that I went to vacation to Côte d'Azur and was stuffing my face with all the seafood I could find and gained 0,5 kilo back.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    When people ask how much weight you lost they aren't asking to find out how good you are at counting calories. They are asking because they want to know how much of a weight differences exists between what you were before and what you are now. To not include the unintended weight loss is to give them only a partial answer.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I have two situations where I am asked how much I've lost - friends who want to know how much smaller I am, and fellow dieters who want to know how successful I have been at losing weight. It's the second category I was wondering about. It's not perfectly truthful to say I have lost 93 pounds by eating at a deficit and exercising, when some of those were lost by my pancreas failing to produce insulin!

I think I've decided what I'm going to do as far as entering my original weight into MFP. MFP is a tool for helping people meet their goals, so I should do what helps motivate me the most. In my case, that's seeing intermediate goals come up as victories. So I'm going to hang out for another couple of pounds until I hit the 70 lbs mark, and then enter the start weight so eventually it will show me that nice, big inspiring 100 number. It seems silly, but this is hard work, so anything that will keep me keeping on is a good plan.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Why not? Is there some kind of merit system involved in how you lost weight? I say include it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I also think it depends on the context of the situation.

If its just a general how much have you lost question, I would include it all.

If you were having a weight loss techniques discussion with someone and talking about using MFP then I would just include the MFP weight or specify the two different categories so as not to mislead them. Depends on the situation and how much detail you care to go into at the time.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I would like to know what everyone else thinks. I started losing weight last year after an ovarian tumor, and about a month later, a diagnosis of diabetes. I know exactly what I weighed the first time I went to the ER because it's in my records: 272. The month between that and my surgery, my diabetes was undiagnosed and I lost weight constantly as a result, almost 25 lbs. After my surgery, I came home, went on medication and a diabetes-appropriate diet, and when I was cleared, I joined MFP and started trying to lose weight. The starting weight I entered at that time was 247. I'm now down to 181. (And off most meds, due to the benefits of weight loss on my diabetes.)

So, my question is, when people ask "How much weight have you lost?" should I include the 25 lbs I lost due to illness? It seems almost like cheating to mention it, since I wasn't trying to lose weight, but on the other hand it does reflect the total amount of weight I've lost since my highest weight. Should I add my weight in the hospital to my weight history?

Haa ha, how funny I struggle with this too last year i was my heaviest, without being in the pregnancy state. I was 212 after walking for about 4 to 6 months was down to 200. But I walked because I had to. Wasn't really doing it intentionally. I needed to be somewhere for medical reasons daily. Didn't change my diet. And then i lost another 4lbs sometime this past year or recently or who knows before i started dieting and weighing in for Mfp. So I just say 196 is what i started with before mfp. But one day I wi tell my whole story somehow somewhere. And that weight I carried last year will be a part of it. But to me I lost hella weight since last year lol. Sorry for te long story . I get caught up lol. Sooo include your 25 lbs girl. You were there suffering through it!! Congratulations on your loss lovely lady!!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Just tell them "enough to make a difference in my health." Nobody should ask or care about numbers; that is only for you and your doctors eyes and ears. Well done and good luck!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    When people ask how much weight I have lost I tell them the highest I have ever weighed. Intentional weight loss or not, you still lost that 25 pounds.