RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    krishnip wrote: »
    I am very careful with the amount of sugar I take in but the majority of my sugar comes from the apple and grapes I eat. Do I need to count this for the amount I am sugar I am allowed to take in?

Only if you are into counting what you eat. Counting is a good thing at least until intutive eating become a way of life for you after you count for a while and learn what foods fatten you up and what foods leads to natural weight loss/maintenance.

@krishnip best of success. Remember it is the Way Of Eating that works for you that is right for you. We are all different and do well often eating very different diets from another person that is being successful.

Specific foods don't fatten people up or lead to natural (whatever that means) weight loss/maintenance. The total amount of calories consumed is what is responsible for weight management.

OP you will find that without a medical reason to specifically limit sugars, the natural sugars in things like apples and grapes have no bearing on your actual results. MFP doesn't differentiate between natural and added sugars so while there are important guidelines to keep an eye on the total consumption of calories from added sugars, it often is a red herring to chase for weight loss. Many seasoned posters with no medical reason to restrict sugars ignore that metric in their diary or replace it with something more meaningful for them like fiber.

Not sure after all of this time why you do not grasp weight management is far more than calories consumed.

Not sure after all this time, why you do not have the most fundamental understanding of energy balance. It's honestly the most basic science out there.

I am also unsure why you make these arguments with people far more fit than you. And while fit =/= knowledge, it would suggest they are following basic principles to enable them to achieve those goals.

OP, it all comes down to energy balance for weight loss. What is important is eating foods to allow you to achieve you goals, improve satiety to help it become a sustainable diet, and address any medical needs. The current dogma of the need to cut sugar/carbs is just that.. dogma. It's no different than the old dogma that fats where bad. Fruits are fantastic for you. They are low in calories, high in fiber, vitamins and minerals and have antioxidants. That increases the amount of volume you can eat, provides sustainable energy and will help keep you body health.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/95/4/989

Sure it is about energy balance. Normally in the animal kingdom energy balance is controlled by hormones not manual math if food choices are not limited.

Your link is not currently working on my computer.

ad_234085936-e1486481476991.jpg

100% the deadlier version of one of my past cats, Dave. My fault, I fed him too much. And he was a piggy.

To confirm. Animals get fat too. In fact, along with a human obesity epidemic, there is a pet one too.

My parents have an overweight diabetic cat... and he didn't eat sugar... true story.

The amount of carbohydrates in cat food can (for some brands, especially dry foods) be pretty high. If the cat was over-eating all those carbs, then color me not shocked to learn about the kitty-diabetes. :)

OP - if you have a reason for limiting sugars (medical or diet choice such as keto), then all sugars should be counted. If you're only worried about weight loss and maintenance, then I wouldn't worry about sugar from fruits. Weight loss and weight maintenance is just a numbers game.

And that's why we should feed our pets a varied diet instead of just kibble/pellet/flake foods.

Shiloh The Wondermutt was on a raw diet for about a year and a half. He did great on it. Lost a bunch of extra weight (due to being able to feed fewer calories but with more bulk than kibble allows).
    Unfortunately, managing all his meals and the food prep just got to be too much when life got crazy and he's back on a high quality, grain free kibble diet (70% of ingredients being meat).
    Taking him on more runs to keep the weight off and he's still doing great but always considering going back to feeding raw...

Our rescue dog was over weight when she came to live with us. The poor thing couldn't walk down the street without getting out of breath.
    We went to a raw meat diet with her and within months she was running with us. She now can do 4 miles no problem and is fit as a lop.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have always fed my cats kibble only on a free choice basis. I have never had an overweight cat and I have never had an underweight cat. One passed away at the age of 18, another at 17, both from age related issues. My current 2 are 9 and 4 years old and both right in the middle of the normal range for their body type.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    My guys are ferals. I use one large can of wet food for the two who are willing to share with each other, one small for the one they only let at the other dishes when they're done eating (by which point all the wet food is gone) and a cup of kibble. All grain free, though the kibble does have a fair amount of pea protein mixed in with the meat.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I have always fed my cats kibble only on a free choice basis. I have never had an overweight cat and I have never had an underweight cat. One passed away at the age of 18, another at 17, both from age related issues. My current 2 are 9 and 4 years old and both right in the middle of the normal range for their body type.

This is what I do except to make sure there is no wheat, dairy or soy (all of which one cat is allergic to). Both cats (8 and 11ish) stay at 22 lbs and 7 lbs - perfect weight for their body types.

Oh, the big cat does get tomato pieces on occasion. He loves tomatoes.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    krishnip wrote: »
    I am very careful with the amount of sugar I take in but the majority of my sugar comes from the apple and grapes I eat. Do I need to count this for the amount I am sugar I am allowed to take in?

Only if you are into counting what you eat. Counting is a good thing at least until intutive eating become a way of life for you after you count for a while and learn what foods fatten you up and what foods leads to natural weight loss/maintenance.

@krishnip best of success. Remember it is the Way Of Eating that works for you that is right for you. We are all different and do well often eating very different diets from another person that is being successful.

Specific foods don't fatten people up or lead to natural (whatever that means) weight loss/maintenance. The total amount of calories consumed is what is responsible for weight management.

OP you will find that without a medical reason to specifically limit sugars, the natural sugars in things like apples and grapes have no bearing on your actual results. MFP doesn't differentiate between natural and added sugars so while there are important guidelines to keep an eye on the total consumption of calories from added sugars, it often is a red herring to chase for weight loss. Many seasoned posters with no medical reason to restrict sugars ignore that metric in their diary or replace it with something more meaningful for them like fiber.

Not sure after all of this time why you do not grasp weight management is far more than calories consumed.

Not sure after all this time, why you do not have the most fundamental understanding of energy balance. It's honestly the most basic science out there.

I am also unsure why you make these arguments with people far more fit than you. And while fit =/= knowledge, it would suggest they are following basic principles to enable them to achieve those goals.

OP, it all comes down to energy balance for weight loss. What is important is eating foods to allow you to achieve you goals, improve satiety to help it become a sustainable diet, and address any medical needs. The current dogma of the need to cut sugar/carbs is just that.. dogma. It's no different than the old dogma that fats where bad. Fruits are fantastic for you. They are low in calories, high in fiber, vitamins and minerals and have antioxidants. That increases the amount of volume you can eat, provides sustainable energy and will help keep you body health.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/95/4/989

Sure it is about energy balance. Normally in the animal kingdom energy balance is controlled by hormones not manual math if food choices are not limited.

Your link is not currently working on my computer.

ad_234085936-e1486481476991.jpg

100% the deadlier version of one of my past cats, Dave. My fault, I fed him too much. And he was a piggy.

To confirm. Animals get fat too. In fact, along with a human obesity epidemic, there is a pet one too.

My parents have an overweight diabetic cat... and he didn't eat sugar... true story.

The amount of carbohydrates in cat food can (for some brands, especially dry foods) be pretty high. If the cat was over-eating all those carbs, then color me not shocked to learn about the kitty-diabetes. :)

OP - if you have a reason for limiting sugars (medical or diet choice such as keto), then all sugars should be counted. If you're only worried about weight loss and maintenance, then I wouldn't worry about sugar from fruits. Weight loss and weight maintenance is just a numbers game.

And that's why we should feed our pets a varied diet instead of just kibble/pellet/flake foods.

Shiloh The Wondermutt was on a raw diet for about a year and a half. He did great on it. Lost a bunch of extra weight (due to being able to feed fewer calories but with more bulk than kibble allows).
    Unfortunately, managing all his meals and the food prep just got to be too much when life got crazy and he's back on a high quality, grain free kibble diet (70% of ingredients being meat).
    Taking him on more runs to keep the weight off and he's still doing great but always considering going back to feeding raw...

Suppliers here deliver it complete so you don't have to make up the meals yourself. If they didn't I wouldn't consider it at this point because terror of missing some important component.

All of my cats, including new fella Horatio who is the newbie after losing Dave in December, will stuff themselves happy all day long given the opportunity. And when on dry, even as only 50% of their diet and grain free, I would be pestered a lot because you just don't get any volume. The girls are now back down to healthy weights and full of beans with gorgeous coats. They were probably operating at about 85% when they still had dry.

Then there's the increasing instances of kidney issues in cats, who don't have the same thirst drive we do. Makes me really want to never feed dry as a main component of their diet again.

Of course your pet your choice but at the end of the day, cats are obligate carnivores, they have absolutely zero dietary need for any of the fillers put into commercial cat foods, particularly kibble. Couldn't be more far removed from their natural diet as possible.

Interesting how much people strive to have a natural, from whole foods, no super processed foods diet for themselves and feed their pets highly processed foods. Funny dichotomy.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ^^ Or the people who's trolley is filled with expensive foods, but their dog or cat gets the stores homebrand food or god forbid, Beneful et al. Why dont they save even more money and feed their pets shredded cardboard, peanut hulls with red and green dye sprinkled over the top :confounded:

Obviously this is an incredibly passionate subject for me...
  • owa1s
    owa1s Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    1 gram of sugar has 4 calories so it counts