YouTube Vlogger tries a week-long fad diet. Hilarity and malnutrition ensue.

Options
vegaslounge
vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
edited August 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Actually, he tries several fad diets (juicing, baby food, Special K, etc) in a series. All end up pretty much how one would expect, and if you expect that to be anything other than "not very well", you're...uh, well, wrong, I guess.

Mike Jeavons is one of my favorite YouTubers, and damn, the man commits to his projects. He has a "Week On" series wherein he eats only a certain diet or food for a week and records the results. He does usually lose weight, but as the days go on you can see how tired and frankly ill he looks. The worst of the bunch was his Week On Jack LaLanne's Power Juicer. Just juice, morning noon and night, for a solid week. He nearly passed out on the second day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBqYsnEAanE

I am linking to his Slimfast week, because I actually did this program myself and it was utterly miserable. The hunger you can get used to, but the monotony of chocolate after chocolate after chocolate actually really wears you down. I admit I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but even Willy Wonka would throw up his hands and say "feck this noise" after day 3.

What makes this all even better is that if you look at his early videos, he is significantly overweight. It was reviewing an infomercial product (a wearable towel) that he decided to do something about it– it was his "come to Jesus" moment, if you will. And he did do something about it– in newer videos he looks trim and healthy. How did he do it? Eating fewer calories than he burned.

To quote my sainted father, "Well, damn, how are you supposed to make money off of THAT?"

Replies

• jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I totally forgot about this guy! I used to watch him in the old Channel Awesome days before they all moved to Youtube. I agree he is very entertaining.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Pupslice wrote: »
    My father-in-law tried Slim Fast, and was very upset that not only was he not losing weight, he was gaining while using it. Turns out he was drinking a shake along with eating a full meal, rather than just having a shake as a meal replacement like you're supposed to. So he was eating bacon and eggs, toast and jam, and washing it all down with a shake. For weeks. Sigh. Didn't like reading the directions first, that one.

Reminds me of a phrase I heard growing up, "When all else fails, read the instructions." SMH
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I don't remember his channel now, but there was a guy who was doing a challenge of not eating anything except potatoes for a year, to prove that it was perfectly healthy and wouldn't adversely affect a person. The few I watched he made it sound like he was doing great and that he was as healthy as he'd ever been. Not sure how honest he was being, really, it seems like an excess of anything would be bad for you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't remember his channel now, but there was a guy who was doing a challenge of not eating anything except potatoes for a year, to prove that it was perfectly healthy and wouldn't adversely affect a person. The few I watched he made it sound like he was doing great and that he was as healthy as he'd ever been. Not sure how honest he was being, really, it seems like an excess of anything would be bad for you.

If it's the same guy -- Australian? -- he has a podcast now called SpudFit. I happened upon it because I searched for Kevin Hall interviews and he was on the show, so I listened to that episode.

I am going to check out the guy in the OP even though I can never get myself to watch YouTubes. Seems like it could be fun.

I don't think only potatoes is healthy, but I see how it would work, as you can't really eat that much on a monodiet, as you get bored, I think. He said any thought of food/eating used to be hard for him to control and it eliminated the temptation. Not for me, and not for the vast majority of people, but I kind of get it if you can actually stay on it based on commitment to the experiment or the idea that it's your only chance or something, I guess.