Food Tracking Burn Out

Options
JJBCPP
JJBCPP Posts: 21 Member
I am a re-tread on using the diary after taking 6 months off. It definitely works when I use it but I only last about a month before getting burned out. It just becomes exhausting to always be measuring, counting, calculating, and entering info. I also find it difficult to explain to others why I am obsessively tracking my intake. They just don't get it! If you have similar battles you are not alone.

Replies

• natasha7573
    natasha7573 Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think that it will be better for you if you stop explaining it to other people :)))
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    How do others know you are obsessively tracking your intake? During competition prep I get offered food a lot and I say, "No thank you, it really doesn't sound good to me right now" or "I'd love to have some, but I'm just not hungry." Generally they don't offer it again and I don't have to explain anything further.

As for getting burnt out, maybe your goals or methods aren't appropriate for your lifestyle. Weighing everything isn't the only way, but it's the best way for a specific portion of the population. If you aren't looking to compete in a bodybuilding competition then figure out a different way to stay on track without counting.
  • Choward33
    Choward33 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Some family members think I am obsessed and I may be. But I have to do me. And as far as measuring and counting.... a good guess is better than nothing.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this!!!! There's nothing fun about recording my every ingestion.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think that it will be better for you if you stop explaining it to other people :)))

I agree with @natasha7573, if I did things because off what others thought, said or what their opinion was, I'd do nothing at all. Be yourself and do your own thing. Quit explaining.
  • JarrottH
    JarrottH Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I've lost 25# and haven't measured or weighed anything other than myself. Becoming aware of the calorie content of various foods was a huge eye opener for me. (Mexican food and bagels were my two biggest surprises.) I estimate calorie counts now for each meal using the data in the app. It's not scientific but it is effective. And I don't count vegetable snacks. If I snack on carrots rather than chips, I'm not going to penalize myself. Good luck!