Vegan/Gluten Free Bulk

Options
Hello,

After some time off, I am starting to lift heavy again, as I want to build up the muscles. So I have a good strength training program (combination of lower body and upper body days), as well as daily yoga (I am a yoga teacher & personal trainer).

But I need some help in the nutrition department! I am vegan (except for a daily activia yogurt for the probiotics), and I have a gluten intolerance as well. Looking for recommendations :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific nutritional goal you're not meeting right now (need more protein, need more fat, etc)?
  • xoDressage
    xoDressage Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific nutritional goal you're not meeting right now (need more protein, need more fat, etc)?

I honestly have a hard time meeting all of my macros.. but definetly more protein.
  • Rhayemun
    Rhayemun Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good Belly is an amazing probiotic if you're looking to replace the cow lactation.

http://goodbelly.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz-64jY7z1QIVTmt-Ch2B2ARdEAAYAyAAEgKmr_D_BwE

To get in more protein on a gluten free diet, smash in the beans with rice, quinoa, beyond meat is an amazing GFV meat, smart dogs are GFV as well and can be made with Amy's Chili yummmm I love to make this with cornbread, almond and nut butter, nuts and seeds, Tofu, Tempeh, edamame and of course GFV protein powders my favorite is Orgain. Potatoes are a great staple in GFV diets and you can put so many delicious things on potatoes! Mmmm I'm getting hungry just thinking about all the delicious noms.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    xoDressage wrote: »

I honestly have a hard time meeting all of my macros.. but definetly more protein.

I get most of my protein from beans, tempeh, tofu, grains, and vegetables (also seitan, which isn't an option for you).

If you're struggling to get sufficient fat, try nuts, coconut, and avocado.

If you're interested, there are some great vegan probiotics available. I love Farmhouse Culture -- I think everything they make is vegan. Wonderful savory products like sauerkraut and kimchi, as well as a liquid probiotic "gut shot." There are other fermented sauerkrauts out there too, not just that brand. If you prefer the sweeter, there is a brand that makes a dairyfree kefir. I can't remember the exact name, but I got it at Whole Foods and it was very tasty.

You can also make your own, but I haven't quite gotten my courage together to try it yet.
  • xtacy33
    xtacy33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    These are some great options listed already and if your trying to put on some more muscle weight then you might just have to up your calories if there isn't much fat left to burn. Maybe start with increasing calories on your workout days to see how it goes. The more working out the more fuel your body needs to repair. I don't think you have to blow it out of the park with proteins as long as your increasing calories with healthy foods from any macro. Good luck!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I have a gluten intolerance

You are either allergic to gluten or you are not, there is no "intolerance" to gluten. You may however not be able to process FODMAPs very well. Look it up.
  • xoDressage
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

You are either allergic to gluten or you are not, there is no "intolerance" to gluten. You may however not be able to process FODMAPs very well. Look it up.
    AJ_G wrote: »

I have a gluten allergy but not celiac..
    I have also been through the FODMAP diet as trial and error.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you are willing to do shakes, the Plantfusion Lean and Phood are by far the best, and I tried them all. I like the vanilla in the blender with ice and 3 cups spinach with almond butter on gluten free bread. The soy yogurts are delicious and Ben & Jerrys non dairy ice cream is a great way to get some fat. The 7 layer bar flavor is ridiculous
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    TrueNutrition has a vegan optimizer protein that I am pretty sure is gluten free. Its made of rice, hemp, and pea protein. Its fairly cheap if you order 4+ lbs at once.

I think they have a vegan bulking powder, but I've never tried it, so I can't vouch for it.
  • xoDressage
    Options
    I find I just can't eat enough throughout the day to meet my macros.. either because i'm busy, or i'm just too full/not hungry. Obviously I need to pick more macro dense foods...just not sure where to start.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I find I just can't eat enough throughout the day to meet my macros.. either because i'm busy, or i'm just too full/not hungry. Obviously I need to pick more macro dense foods...just not sure where to start.

You need to add more fat to your diet. Fat is calorically dense, and it helps food taste good. Shoot for at least 2 different fats in each meal. Oil is the easiest. Cook your veggies in oil, drizzle it on salads, use it cook tofu or any other meat substitute. Add another source too. Avocado, hummus, nuts, nut butter and vegan cheese substitute are all good sources.