Lunch Inspiration

Options
Hi all! I'm finally near my goal weight, however will be returning to uni soon and am in need of lunch ideas to stay on course!

I am a lover of soup however will have no access to a microwave on campus, so its not really an option (unless people know of cold soups which taste okay?)

I eat and enjoy salad, but the thought of it for lunch every day really puts me off - attempts of this in the past resulted in me sometimes go without or choosing naughty alternatives which I know are bad.

What meals do you typically prep which can last in a bag for a few hours and just be whipped out to eat as needed?

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Can you take a thermos with your soup in it with you? I have even taken soup in an insulated mug when I didn't have to worry about it sealing. It doesn't stay piping hot, but plenty hot to eat at lunchtime. Just make sure you heat it really hot before you put it in the thermos.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Can you take a thermos with your soup in it with you? I have even taken soup in an insulated mug when I didn't have to worry about it sealing. It doesn't stay piping hot, but plenty hot to eat at lunchtime. Just make sure you heat it really hot before you put it in the thermos.

Yes this works. Also put hot water in the thermos to get it hot, then pour out water and put your hot soup. Also the Domestic Geek is doing back to school ideas all month. She has done youtube videos for bowls, wraps, pizzas, pasta salads and soups. Lots of great ideas. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLziprGSUFGYQhi4ySRTlQQoiBuVJ8gkno
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Also freeze a bottle of water and put it in an insulated lunch bag to keep things cold until lunch then when it is defrosted you have drinking water. Tip pour out a little bit of the water before freezing because the water expands when frozen.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    They have wide-mouthed Thermoses perfect for soup!
  • katiearmstrong153
    katiearmstrong153 Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses! I had considered a flask but was uncertain if it would stay warm enough - I will invest in a decent thermos and have a look at the site posted in the comments for further inspiration :smiley:

The frozen bottle and boiling water first also are really helpful tips so thank you both
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I pack lunch for my dh every day in an insulated bag with an ice pack. He eats things room temperature although there is a microwave. It is often dinner leftovers or a sandwich. Fruit, hard boiled egg, yogurt, cheese, muffins, trail mix, granola bar get thrown in the bag sometimes too.

Look up bento boxes. They are usually intended to be eaten room temperature.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options