When do you buy a whole new wardrobe?

Options
downeyek
downeyek Posts: 41 Member
I've currently lost 28 pounds, but I still have 54 to go. My body is changing, clothes are getting baggy and it's always nice to feel rewarded by showing off the new body with some new duds! All of that being said, I'm not much of a spender or a shopper! When did you buy a whole new wardrobe?

**I'm also trying to be super cautious! I've lost some weight before (never like this), but I've always put it back on and then some.

Replies

• missmae182828
    Options
    My suggestion to you would be to buy a couple things at a time. Say, a couple pairs of pants and a couple tops. When the next twenty + pounds come off, buy a couple more. That way you're not throwing money away.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I've already had to buy new pants as I went down quite a few pant sizes and they looked like I was wearing a potato sack with a belt on.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track...but like most of us need the security of keeping some of those old clothes "just in case". I bought a few new things as I went, simply because I just couldn't keep wearing what I had...way too big! Many will say to hit the racks at GoodWill, consignment shops, etc., and that's a really good place to get enough to get you through to the next size. I put my old clothes in containers and after about 10 months finally took seasonally appropriate items to GoodWill and Salvation Army. It's been a year and a half and I've totally let go of all the old clothes and now have a whole new wardrobe. As clothes came on sale, I replenished everything I needed at a much lower cost. And it was great to shop "regular" sizes! So enjoy each new item, get enough to get you through to the next size down, and put a little $ aside, if possible, for your "reward" outfits when you get to that goal.
  • rebeccalee1986
    Options
    When I hit 35 pounds loss I had to buy a whole new wardrobe as I went from a size 20 to a size 12 uk. My clothes are quite loose now but I am trying to wait until i lose another 15 pounds.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Definitely get new clothes as you change sizes, but try to be a little thrifty about it :). It's really great for the self esteem to have stuff that fits you well at each step along the way.

Old Navy always has at least one of their styles of pants, shorts, shirts, etc. on a decent sale. Not the greatest clothes on the planet, sure, but they are perfect transitional clothes!

I'm only 3ish lbs away from my maintenance goal, and I'm already too small for clothes from about 7-10 lbs ago. I'm glad I didn't revamp my wardrobe then with quality stuff - I'd feel really sad to have that too baggy!
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Why don't you hit local thrift stores or Goodwill? They often times have lots of clothes that are barely worn and can get you by until you are ready for the brand new wardrobe!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I can't afford "a whole new wardrobe" at once, and I expect my body to change a lot more, so I just buy bits and pieces as needed. I have plans to get a few new shirts in the next week.
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    My reco would be to find sales, and only buy a few pieces at a time. Example, a pair of jeans, two pairs of business slacks if you need them for work. Definitely take an inventory of what you have that you can still wear, or make work. A really good alternative during this period is dresses! Especially wrap dresses because they can grow and shrink with you more so than other clothes. Anywho, take an inventory and then figure out what you really need to get through your daily activities. Purchase whatever needs to be filled in. Example, you have 1 pair of jeans but need 3, so buy 2, etc. Just don't bother on the expensive stuff, SALE SALE SALE. With school coming up it's a perfect time to buy! And, with end of summer sales of course.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores, Goodwill, close-out stores like Ross or TJ Maxx.

Plus I'm learning to sew. I want to be able to do my own alterations.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i do buy new workout pants and cloths during the weightloss but wont buy a whole new wardrobe till i am at goal weight but then again i still have a lot of jeans from previews weights that should work fine when i cant wear my workout cloths :smile:
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    not keeping the fat clothes is helping me stay on track - if they aren't in the closet, I don't have the option of wearing them, so I have to eat well.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I get my pants tailored for 1 size smaller, and then I buy new when I'm down 2 sizes. I only buy 2 -3 pants at a time and with shirts, if it's work clothing I buy a couple, if it's casual I don't until I'm down 2 sizes.

Also, I wait for coupons and sales. I never buy anything new when I know I'm going to change in size unless it is 75% or more off. Yes, I have to shop around a little more at Khol's, Ross, TJ Maxx, Marchals, Macy's, etc - BUT it's worth it! Walmart has some OK stuff but often I find it difficult to find clothing there that fits my style and my shape well.
  • cclarkcts
    cclarkcts Posts: 97
    Options
    I buy all of my "journey clothes" at the thrift store. They have really nice things there and I don't plan to wear them too long since I am only about half way to my goal.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds with another 18 to go, so I'm reluctant to do major shopping right now. But most of my clothes are falling off me. I was down to two t-shirts that fit, so I picked up some colorful t-shirts at a thrift shop this weekend... 7 t-shirts for $11. I also bought a pair of Calvin Klein jeans for $3, so I now have two pairs of jeans that fit. Hopefully in a few months I can donate them back.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I saved my clothes from when I was thinner by putting them in the attic. I still don't fit into half of them, but I brought the half that do fit down and wear those when I go out, but still tend to wear the bigger clothes when I'm lazing around the house. Granted, there's only a 20lb difference between my heaviest and my goal so that might not be an option for people who have lost a great deal of weight, but I can usually manage with a belt and living with saggy butt pants when I'm by myself.
  • tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Why don't you hit local thrift stores or Goodwill? They often times have lots of clothes that are barely worn and can get you by until you are ready for the brand new wardrobe!

This! I'm down a bunch, but still have 20+ lbs to go. I just found a great men's consignment store nearby and bought a few new pairs of pants. I'm not doing a full revamp until I reach goal, but rather just buying a few inexpensive things and shedding (giving away) the fat clothes at the same time. That seems to be a good way to not look back, but keep costs down.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I never did buy a whole wardrobe even though I lost 60 pounds. I bought new clothes gradually. A pair of pants here and there, a nice shirt. It's easier on the emotions I find. I am still wearing some large tops they look pretty though not tight obviously.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    A whole new wardrobe? Not til i'm at goal. 10 more pounds. I'm sure you can imagine my excitement. I really shouldnt be spending a lot of money but damn it if i havent worked my butt off. i deserve a new wardrobe!!!!

I've obviously had to buy a few things here and there over the past year and a half. I went from a size 22 to an 8. I live in leggings so they can range from sizes, hoodies, cheap t shirts from target, clearance racks are my friends. I will buy a pair of jeans every few months. I still am wearing the same undies even if they are quite big. The one thing that i havent been able to cheap out on is bras. I've HAD to replace those and they are quite expensive. I went from a 42DD to a 34D. Other than that, though, i'm too cheap and havent bought very much. But, this fall? ALL NEW WARDROBE BABY!
  • thaze90
    thaze90 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I wont buy a whole new wardrobe til I'm to my goal weight.. just been buying the bare minimum as I go to have clothes that aren't falling off me. lol.
  • carrieanthony
    carrieanthony Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Exactly .... not til I'm at goal. However, I do need clothes for work and I've lost 30 lbs and everything I have is too big (although some things I'm finally fitting back into !!! WOO!!!!!). I'm donating my fat clothes and I shop at places like TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshall's and Kohl's for now (and on occasion, the thift stores but only the higher scale neighborhoods). However, once I'm at goal? LOOK OUT CREDIT CARDS. Y'ALL ARE GONNA BE MAXED OUT! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!